Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
STS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

To make it short: I'm from Germany and since 4yrs a proud owner of a '96er STS. Now "they"have introduced the "new" E10-fuel here in Germany and since it's cheaper than "Super" I wanna know, if I can use it too, without risking to damage my engine.

Thanks for your help and with kind regards!
Dan

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,951 Posts
Almost all the fuel in the U.S. is E10 (10% ethanol) and has been for 30 years or better. The car was designed to run on it (check your owners manual). You won't hurt a thing, but might notice a very slight decrease in MPG (or KPG as you might put it).

·
Registered
STS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Almost all the fuel in the U.S. is E10 (10% ethanol) and has been for 30 years or better. The car was designed to run on it (check your owners manual). You won't hurt a thing, but might notice a very slight decrease in MPG (or KPG as you might put it).
Aha, interesting! Thank you for your info!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,798 Posts
Danni, Your 1996 Northstar is calibrated to run on premium fuels - 90 octane or higher. The engine controls system uses a knock sensor to electronically retard timing a few degrees when spark knock is detected. If the E10 which is being introduced in Germany is above 90 octane there will be no spark retard; if the new fuel is 87 or 88 octane, then it's possible that a bit of retard would be set, reducing engine performance and fuel mileage slightly. For city and quiet driving the E10 would be fine, but if you embark on a high speed Autobahn trip I would use Super.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts