Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 SRX Performance, 2006 STS 4,
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 cadillac etc and the air condition has been not been blowing so hard. The air box is cracked near the blower that cover the evap core. Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this? I attached two pictures.

Thank you for your help in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
1996 SLS / 2005 SRX V8
14 Posts
I covered it with a piece of sheet metal and used the three existing holes with self taping screws.My cover falls apart when you touch it.I guess it was a flaw in design.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,999 Posts
It is somewhat common as the plastic gets brittle over time and heat cycling. Several options have been discussed before. Patching it with aluminum tape is one option. Another is self stick drywall mesh and then coat with RTV. I'd be Leary of drilling and screwing it as it is brittle and may get worse.

·
Registered
2000 Eldorado ESC
1,362 Posts
Or................ you could replace it with a new HVAC cover (insulator).
Part # 52491785. In any case cover that evaperator inspection hole with anything handy.
Duct tape, piece of sheet metal.

·
Super Moderator
86,999 Posts
Doesn't the engine has to be removed to get at that Clark?

·
Registered
2000 Eldorado ESC
1,362 Posts
Yes, but I think you could get away with lowering the rear of the cradle enough to change it. Maybe use the threaded rod method like BBF (Mike) did over on Caddy info.

·
Super Moderator
86,999 Posts
Good thought. Having never needed to do it, I don't know how much more clearance is needed. Probably would be preferable to a patch. If it deteriorated that bad patching it would be like welding on rust.

·
Registered
Silver 1999 Sedan DeVille (base) 103,000 miles
18 Posts
I have a '99 Deville and the same thing has happened. I was at the junk yard looking at how it would be possible to replace that thing... Man it's a big part. Looks really challenging. But I'm wondering if I just wanted to patch up that little hole. Am I really repairing it? I mean is the whole thing a metal container covered by foam and plastic with this little access hole?

Any advice would be helpful, Thanks.

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
229 Posts
Patch it. I used the same sort of tape that Ranger suggested. It was rain gutter/roofing sealant tape that was aluminum on one side and sticky sealant on the other. The roll was about 6" wide, so I cut a piece to wrap from the top down to the front of the housing. I did that 2 or 3 years ago and it's still going strong.

·
Registered
2000 ETC
3 Posts
If the evaporator cover is destroyed, could fumes from the engine enter the A/C system? Mine is crumbled and I have taped it up the best I can but I get oil fumes into the interior of the car.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,140 Posts
If the evaporator cover is destroyed, could fumes from the engine enter the A/C system? Mine is crumbled and I have taped it up the best I can but I get oil fumes into the interior of the car.
Yes. Hot engine smell and, if you have a slight cam cover weep, oil cooking off the rear exhaust manifold will most definitely get into the HVAC ducting.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
It would be better to replace the box but I chose the tape it up with foil duct tape & spray a couple of coats of truck bed liner on it.

It actually worked out good & I still anticipate replacing the cover. More broke away when I replaced the heater core hoses last week.

You would think a plastic cover like that would hold up better to age.

·
Super Moderator
86,999 Posts
Johnny, I'm not sure those are even available anymore. I seem to recall someone having this problem quite some time ago and could not find one anywhere. Discontinued part.

·
Registered
99 Cadillac DeVille Concours
10 Posts
I thought I replied to clarkz71...I know it's been a while since you posted this (clarkz71); do you still have it available? You can also direct email me at gogatorswdc at g mail dot com. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts