Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the local Cadillac dealer to find out about programing a remote and they told me it would cost $95. Is it me or is that insane ?????

To get a second key cut and programed at the same dealer was $60 so why should programing a remote cost so much ?

Must be a SW Florida thing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i got the same reply when i asked to get a second set remote/key, total charge was $150 at the cadillac dealership...yes its insane, but what else can ya do.

·
Registered
70 Posts
program them yourself its easy.

1. With the ignition in the "RUN" position

2. Press OFF and WARMER (or the OFF and PASSENGER WARMER buttons) on climate control panel simultaneously. Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) will light all telltales, then go blank. System is now in DIAGNOSTIC MODE. Press FAN DOWN button until "RFA?" is displayed, then press FAN UP. Press FAN DOWN button until "RFA OVERRIDE?" is displayed, then press FAN UP button. When "NO OVRD RF S00" is displayed, press FAN UP button.

3. When "PGM FOB1 S01" is displayed, press WARMER button and "99" will be displayed in the left upper corner of the IPC, just below odometer. System is now ready to program transmitter.

4. Press and hold TRUNK button on the transmitter. While holding TRUNK button, press LOCK button and hold for one second. Hold both buttons for a total of 3 seconds. Locks will cycle when programming is complete. If transmitter is not programmed within 30 seconds after entering "99" on the display, system will default and you must begin at step #2 again.

5. To program second transmitter, press FAN UP button until "PGM FOB2 S02" is displayed, then repeat steps #2 and #3.

6. To exit system, press RECIRC, or RESET button.

• Model Year GM Part Number
......................#1 Remote #2 Remote
1992 thru 1995 ..10269729 ....10178734
1996 and 1997 ...16183016 ....16196066
.......................16259819 .....16259829
1998 thru 2000 ..25656444 .......25656445
2001 to Current ? ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this procedure for a Catera ???

If it is than you Sir, are God.:worship:

What do you mean by the "Warmer" button ? Is it the seat warmer?
If so than I'm screwed as i don't have seat warmers(not much need for it in Florida)

·
Registered
484 Posts
mrnextel said:

2. Press OFF and WARMER (or the OFF and PASSENGER WARMER buttons) on climate control panel simultaneously. Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) will light all telltales, then go blank. System is now in DIAGNOSTIC MODE. Press FAN DOWN button until "RFA?" is displayed, then press FAN UP. Press FAN DOWN button until "RFA OVERRIDE?" is displayed, then press FAN UP button. When "NO OVRD RF S00" is displayed, press FAN UP button.
Will it display trouble codes in this diagnostic mode???

·
Registered
484 Posts
I found this procedure online and it's actually only for the US built Cadillac's such as STS, DTS but not the Catera.

·
Registered
30 Posts
so has anybody found the procedure for proramming the catera remote?
Unable to use Mr. Nextel as I don't have the warmer button.

Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
There is no program-it-yourself method for the Catera. You need to use the Tech II tool, which costs a TON. The dealer has one and charges you appropriately :). My experience with the dealer was $30 for programming the remote only and $98 for a new key (which needed to be programmed also).

·
Registered
5 Posts
mrnextel said:

3. When "PGM FOB1 S01" is displayed, press WARMER button and "99" will be displayed in the left upper corner of the IPC, just below odometer. System is now ready to program transmitter.

4. Press and hold TRUNK button on the transmitter. While holding TRUNK button, press LOCK button and hold for one second. Hold both buttons for a total of 3 seconds. Locks will cycle when programming is complete. If transmitter is not programmed within 30 seconds after entering "99" on the display, system will default and you must begin at step #2 again.

5. To program second transmitter, press FAN UP button until "PGM FOB2 S02" is displayed, then repeat steps #2 and #3.

2001 to Current ? ?
Thnaks for the information. If I already have Remote #1 and it works fine, do I need to reprogram #1 when I program #2. I have a #2 that I purchased off of Ebay. The local dealer wanted ~$40 to program the remote!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
You are stuck having the dealer program the remote (strictly speaking, he will program the car to accept your new remote). $40 is slightly more than the $30 my dealer charged me. Theoretically, any GM dealer can do the job using the Tech II tool that all GM dealers have available. Thus, you MIGHT get it done less expensively at a Chevy dealer since most Chevy dealers have a lower hourly labor rate than Caddy dealers. Practically speaking, though, the Chevy dealer will not have the Catera shop manuals handy and will probably just redirect you to the Caddy dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried the above method, I have mo "RFA?" while in diagnostic mode. I found another site that said I had to short out two pins on the ALDL connector, but one of the sockets I had to short had nometal connector in it, and the guy I bought the remote from mntioned something about shorting a wire in the trunk near the pull down (The wire is there, no effect when shorted with IGN off, does the IGN need to be on? I will try that tomorrow)

Does anyone know how to program the remotes for a 92 Eldo?????

·
Registered
1 Posts

2001 to Current ? ?
Has anyone had success with this procedure?

·
Registered
127 Posts
No, you definately CANNOT program a Catera remote yourself. Standard Cadillac programming procedures won't work with the Catera, no matter what buttons you use. The dealer must do it. The dealer I went to didn't charge me anything, I think he felt sorry for me because I was always there buying parts. It only took him like 2 minutes, it's crazy that they charge you that much. It should be free, simply because you have a Catera...lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mr Nextel I beleave the information you gave is in correct as their is no warmer button on this model unless you are talking ABOUT the two temp control knobs. Well anyway it do not work I tryed numerace times and it was a no go are you sure it's for a 99 catera please respone

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've gone the the diagnostic steps outlined by mrnextel. However, when I get to the RFA? step, I only get to choose "RFA Codes" or "Clear RFA Codes". I don't get the "RFA Override" option. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
183 Posts
I went to my local cad dealer from whom I did not buy the car and out of sympathy for seeing me in a Crapterrable, They programed my ebay found key fob for free. It was AT CLOSING time on a FRIDAY no less!

Made me wish I could afford that new CTS-V out front that much more.

I would ask another place nicely to help you "figure out" why it wont work...

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine wouldnt program with the Tech2 for some reason. He even checked that the part numbers matched for that year/make/model and we tested them to see that all buttons worked. Any clue?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Mine wouldnt program with the Tech2 for some reason. He even checked that the part numbers matched for that year/make/model and we tested them to see that all buttons worked. Any clue?
I know for a fact that if your trying to use a sts or Deville or any other GM key fob that "looks" the exact same but isnt one of the 4 types for the catera they will not work. If it has a "panic" button in red, it wont work. If it is possible jump in the trunk and look at the black box on the drivers side to see if there are any numbers on it to see what one that car has.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
16 Participants
Army_MP_From_MO