Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 STS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being away for a few months, I come back to my 95 STS. Starts up fine, sounds good... but when I squeeze the shifter, its stuck and won't depress. After several tries it depresses and shifts into gear. Sounds good idle shifting thoughout all gears...nice and smooth. But, wouldn't you know it as soon as I park it Stuck in P again.

Checked fluid, added a 1/2 qt. Try again, stuck again, seems worse this time...

Don't want to force to hard beacuse I'm afraid I'll break the shifter plunger.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,969 Posts
Sounds like the problem is in the shifter mechanism. Lube it up.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
If the shifter button under the handle doesn't move (as in it won't squeeze in), your problem is in the handle. I've seen this a mess-load of times.
Try removing the shifter handle and see if it ever acts up again. The clip to remove it is at the forward side of the handle. Use a small flat blade tool to pry it out, then pull the handle up.

·
Registered
95 STS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok... Well I think I did as you described. I used a screwdriver to pry out the small black plastic plunger from the shifter handle. But when I try to depress the skinny metal mechanism under the handle it stills feels stuck. Am I doing this right?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
34 Posts
Do the 95's have a solenoid that prevents you from shifting out of park unless the brake is pressed? My 01 just requires the car to be on, but either way there should be a solenoid that prevents you from shifting out of park (security feature). I'd check that...

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
Ok... Well I think I did as you described. I used a screwdriver to pry out the small black plastic plunger from the shifter handle. But when I try to depress the skinny metal mechanism under the handle it stills feels stuck. Am I doing this right?
Ummm no... He was talking about a "U" clip that is in the forward side of the handle. You need a flathead screwdriver or bladed item to pry out the U clip so you can remove the entire handle.

I agree with Eclipse too... Try wiggling the key in the ignition when this happens and/or pumping the brake pedal. I've had a couple toyotas with this problem and it turned out to be the ignition switch. Dunno how different the caddies are.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,969 Posts
Do the 95's have a solenoid that prevents you from shifting out of park unless the brake is pressed? My 01 just requires the car to be on, but either way there should be a solenoid that prevents you from shifting out of park (security feature). I'd check that...
Yes, they all do.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
The rest of the handle is covered in leather. Do I need to remove that first?
Nonononono!... Look at the part of the handle that is facing the dashboard. There should be a horizontal slit in the leather where the U clip is.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
I just got home from a house call. An '02 Regal stuck in Park. The shifter is a bit different on this one but it turned out to be a shift cable out of adjustment. The cable was pushing back against the shifter putting pressure on the interlock preventing it from releasing. I only realized this after popping the cable off of the shift lever under the console. Then it was a quick adjustment under the hood.

I think this '95 Seville issue is in the handle still. But, you never know until you've got your hands on it.

·
Registered
95 STS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay... I got the shifter handle off. Exposing a slim white plastic plunger in the center of shifter stem/rod. I start the car and try to press down the white plinger directly... Nope, still seems stuck. Sprayed a bit of WD40 on it, then it starts raining.... Soooo, if its still stuck when I return to it. What next?

·
Registered
94 SLS, 97 STS, 05 STS
34 Posts
It's probably the shift interlock solenoid. It prevents you from shifting between park, reverse and drive unless you depress the break pedal. My solenoid hung up and I would be stuck in Park. I'd have to squeeze the handle with enough force to overcome the solenoid. I finally broke my shift handle from squeezing it so hard. I went to GM to buy the soleniod, but they don't sell it alone, it's part of the shift assembly.

·
Registered
1957 Cadillac Kustom, 1995 STS
1 Posts
I just broke mine this morning from being to stiff. I could force it and it seemed to loosen up a bit during the day. I will take the shifter apart today to see what I see. I don't think my issue has anything to do with the brake solenoid though. Thanks,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts