Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:
Anybody ever have issues with going through a/c compressors? I am on my 3rd in less than 2 years, they keep frying the clutches. Someone mentioned a stuck relay or a condenser fan problem. Any input is greatly appreciated
Scott

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,544 Posts
Are you replacing the entire compressor or just the clutches? Where they aftermarket or OEM?

·
Registered
eldorado
125 Posts
If you over charge the ac or it wont cycle the compressor will build up to much head pressur and the clutch will slip till its burnt up .. also if you have an engine oil leak oil will get on the clutch and cause it to slip also..Wipe your hand around the clutch (with the engine off and cold) and see if there is any oil on the clutch..

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac DeVille DTS
150 Posts
If you're buying aftermarket or rebuilt compressors, then this is perfectly normal?

What does the OT look like post repair? And what are your high and low pressures post repair? Are the fans running? Temperature drop across the condenser?

Joe

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
Another thing to consider Scott is if the original compressor had a catastrophic failure. In other words, if it "blew" there could be debris remaining in the lines that compromised all succeeding compressors. I agree with Ranger in that you should go OEM on a replacement unit. Check your orifice screen for debris, and if you see any junk in there, have the lines flushed before putting on another compressor.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,544 Posts
If Gregs scenario is correct, you'll need to do more than just flush the lines. You'll have to replace the condenser and accumulator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts