Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1962 coupe (selling), 1995 Seville SLS, 1966 Sedan DeVille
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Delco/Bose CD/cassette head unit where the display and CD player quit. Radio and cassette still work fine, and the amp section works. Other than the form factor, can a later Bose head unit (say, from 96 and up) be retrofitted to the '95? I'd hate to go with an aftermarket adapter, which retails for $200, PLUS the price of a new head unit ($100), harness ($20) and antenna adapter (another $20) - and the stock look is also gone.

It's bad enough that I had to use of all things, a putter cover, over the worn-out shift handle. The car only has 115K mikes, and a new transmission, and now brand new 16" tires. It's too good to give up on, since I only put on about 7K miles a year.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,648 Posts
Not sure about your car, the OEM sound system and OBD1. The later - 1996+ - OBD-II head units are part of the serial data bus and TheftLock system. The original car's VIN is programmed into the head unit and it will ONLY work with the original car unless you have a GM dealer unlock/re-program it.

That's sort of basic - there are a lot of other owners in here that know the details.

·
Registered
2002 White Diamond STS
105 Posts
piggybacking on what Submariner said, some dealers will want to see original car's VIN and/or paperwork on that radio replacement purchase to make sure it isn't stolen. (if you're replacing with another factory Cadillac stereo, that is.)

·
Registered
2006 STS V Tango int
2,341 Posts
wheres N*caddy when you need him he would probably know some way of getting it to work, i mean he's retrofitting a 02+denso navi unit into his 97 sts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, youze guys (hard to get rid of New York accent). I forgot that the newer stock units had the theft lock, so one trip to the dealer would pay either for an aftermarket unit with low level adapter, or simply get the replacement off Ebay. I just thought there would be more newer technology options (for retrofitting) for these Bose units, since so many manufacturers went with Bose in the mid 90's. Oh, well.

Now it's on to the noisy rear suspension (maybe bushings) and the moist trunk. Sounds like a typical Seville, doesn't it?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Decided to go with aftermarket head unit, since replacements from a salvage yard would still be first generation CD players with known problems. Got the harness from Crutchfield. Has anyone else on this forum used this so-called bypass harness, and if so, what were the results? The existing Bose amp and speaker arrangement sounded great before the head unit gave up the ghost, so I'd like to keep that portion of the existing system. Harness has RCA inputs, so I believe it'll take the low-level signal from the aftermarket unit and feed into the existing Bose amp in the trunk, but I'll wait to see if any of you here have done this.

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado ETC / past: 1996 Edlorado Std.
8 Posts
I have used this kind of setup in the past and the adptors works well. if the adptor is "adjustable" turn them up to about 3/4s and you should be fine. also when shopping for an after market deck look for one that has a fairly high line out voltage, this will give a better, cleaner signal to the bose amplifier. 4 to 5 volt out is is pretty std. now a days. most of the time these specs. will be listed right on the outside of the packaging. besides that, find the deck that fits your needs the best, looks, features, add-on possiblities, ect. as far as mounting the deck goes, don't get cheap on the mounting kit, you get what you pay for. hope this helps.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Fatmouse! The parts I got were the Scosche kit for adapting a single DIN unit, and the harness that connects up to the existing Bose unit is the Metra GM adapter (which only connects to the head unit by RCA jacks and power control lines). So this adapter does not use the high level outputs from the head unit's speaker lines. The only concern I now have is the continued use of the E&C bus - was there a bypass you had to perform on your old Eldo, or the removal of the old stock unit have no effect on your HVAC controls (which is a concern for newer models as well)?

Thanks for the encouragement!

·
Registered
none
39 Posts
is it common to replace broken stock head units with other factory ones instead of buying like a pioneer head unit or something? I think I would wanna keep stock if possible to be flush looking

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today's modern double-din head units use the stock trim ring, and the install looks clean. Only a touch screen NAV unit, which would have cost me more than the car, would look out of place on a '95. The problem with first generation CD head units is that there were known problems with reading even store-bought CDs, and skips, errors reading the discs and ejects plagued them. So, replacing a non-functioning unit, with a close to $100 salvage yard one really isn't a solution. Folks are on this forum because we love our cars, and to a great degree, are DIYers, so sometimes modifying our cars with aftermarket (or some creative workaround) components is necessary because the parts aren't available anymore or are too costly to consider.

Yes, it would probably be just as easy to just rip out the entire Bose system, and start anew, but I'm from the school where if it isn't broken, and works well, don't replace it. The Bose amp and speakers in the Cadillac blow the doors off the Bose unit I had in a '94 Infiniti Q5, which was their flagship. So, they're a keeper!

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
BOSE is not stock, is actually one of the very few options available for the car, so BOSE is the premium sound system.
'96+ cars are OBDII (well '96 is kind of OBDII but still qualifies), so NOTHING that has a data wire connection works between '95 and older and '96 and newer cars.
Also '96 and '97 had NO in dash CD (but had provision for the 12 Disk CD Changer). The In Dash CD was re-introduced in '98.
'98 also introduces the THEFTLOCK feature, so before '98 you can swap HUs as much as you like no issue (as long as compatible).

I would recommend against going aftermarket in a Cadillac (especially a BOSE equipped Cadillac).

You can actually install a OBDII HU in a OBDI car with allot of knowledge and not only, but since you are worried about a $200 price...definitely OBDII HU in a OBDI car is not a job for you.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, N*. The market is full of seemingly quality, non-abused 98-02 Bose HUs, at good prices. Some 97's also pop up. My original intention was to remove the '95 toast unit, and put in a Caddy unit, with some mod to the form factor of the newer unit. I have no fear of ANY audio electronics mods, as I restore '70's Marantz gear (as long as I have a schematic). I still have an oscilloscope, and can look at any signal, as long as I know what I'm looking for. Little info is available in the FSM concerning the U1G Bose option, other than the physical location. Price isn't the real issue here. It's just not wanting to pay a high price for a salvage unit that in the short term, might not be much better than the original. Aftermarket HU is actually a last resort (unless there's a way to mod the newer Bose HU for the older circuitry, since currently, other than HIDs, the car is stock. There's only 115K on the SLS, had transmission done last year, and I intend to keep it for quite a while, since nothing beats the ride.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
You can put a '98+ BOSE unit as long as:
1) You update the RIM with '96-'02 Eldorado or '96-'97 Seville;
2) Update the HU to '98-'02 Eldorado or '98-'00 Seville/Deville;
3) Add a DIM from a '98-'03 Seville or a '99-'04 Deville;
4) You can even add a '96-'97 Seville, '96-'99 Deville or '96-'02 Eldorado steering column with the steering controls;
5) You need to create a second data line (OBDII) between HU, RIM, DIM.
6) Your car will have one OBDI VIN and one OBDII VIN; The OBDII VIN is the DIM donor car's VIN and the HU as to have the same VIN (try getting the HU and DIM from the same car and save $50 for VIN cleanup on HU).
7) You can even add a 12 Disk OEM CD changer.
8) GET A '98+Seville or '00+ Deville FSM and a '96+ Eldorado FSM (you need both) in addition to the '95 FSM.

Step 6 and 7 are optional.
If your car is BOSE then the speakers/amplifiers and related wires are OK.

It will be very creative, you make basically a hybrid OBDI/OBDII car, it is possible, it is difficult but if you enjoy this kind of stuff (I know I would) the is very rewarding.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow! That sounds so cool! Great advice on getting all of the components from a single '98 donor (I'll look for one local that the owner turned in due to blown HG). Data lines are no problem, as I have tons of Cat 3 and 5 cable to do so. Hardest part here remains trimming the rounded upper half of the newer HU to fit the straight-edge cage of the '95. I'll hunt around.

Meanwhile, thanks for SUPERB solution, N*.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts