Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I try to look online every where and I cannot find anything to help me on removing the Instrument Cluster from the dash of my 1995 Fleetwood Base Model. I got the cover that goes over the Instrument Cluster off and the 4 screws mounting it. But I do not know the next step to remove it. The gauges on each side of cluster work, just the center part does not show anything (gas gauge, speedometer).

Anyone with any help on finish removing it? Need to remove top dash part to finish removing the cluster or what?

I tried the manual book you get at an auto store for fleetwood/devilles but it does not help at all and stuff it shows does not show the same as on vehicle.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,707 Posts
Welcome back! It's been a while since you were here. You're in the correct forum and hopefully someone will chime in with the answer

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,440 Posts
After you take out the screws everything comes out in one piece. Take off the panel under the steering wheel and take the clip string to the gear selector . Now there are two plugs in the back of the cluster to unplug. One side will pull out a little more than the other, unplug that side first. Pushing in the locking clip so it will unplug. Now do the other side , it will be harder than the first.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. Got gear selector is unhooked. Just confused on getting to the plugs on the back of the cluster. I pull on each side and neither side wants to come out hardly any at all. Like the wiring is tight or something holding it in from coming out still. Looks to compact under steering to reach under to get to plugs. This is what is confusing me and don't want to force anything. Thanks again

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got it removed. I see the right electrical plugs are mounted to the housing box so you pull on right it automatically unplugs the electrical wires from it and then it is loose enough when pulled out to unplug the left side wiring. Thanks again for the info and help.

Also, anyone know or suggest anywhere to have it sent off to be repaired? Thanks again

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you wanted to mess with it you can strip it down to the center circuit board.
Inspect it. Then plug just the center section in your car. Turn the key on.
Try pressing down, tapping, wiggling, in different spots.
You may get lucky & find a bad soder joint.

There are 2 ways they seem to fail.
A connection / soder problem.
Or power supply problem.
GM had problems with both on their digital dashes.
GM's ECM's up to the early 90's had terrible soder problems.

The center part of the dash is a vacuum florescent system.
To make it work it uses a power supply at the bottom made by TDK.
The power supply is a seperate board sodered on to the main board by 8 pins I believe.

The way it works is the power supply takes battery 9-15v and converts it to about 100v.
With the additional capacity to dim down the display with the dimmer knob.

On some cars the dimmer board can be found.
Looking on Fleetwood or simular I had no luck finding.
Searching TDK part numbers turned up too many results, but no exact number match.

Other automotive vacuum florescent power supplies may work if can figure it all out.
There are also universal vacuum florcent power supplies available. But you may loose the diming feature.
Both can be had on Amazon or Ebay.

Most replace with a junkyard or send out to be repaired.
Ebay & the net is filled with services to repair.

The repair services probibly have the right power supply available or replace the fail componant.

On mine it had a small coil, choke coil I think. Pressed the coil & it worked.
Not having a good small electronics size soder iron & soder sucker I did not want to disassemble the circuit boards apart. So I cheated with hot glue for now to hold the coil tight. But it works.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply again. I tried messing around and nothing is making it light up for me. My cousin sent his truck cluster off many years ago for 75 dollars and had lifetime warranty on it. few years ago it went out again on his and couldnt find receipt so he paid it again and sent it off and repair place seen he had lifetime and fixed it and sent refund also back to him. He cannot remember which person he said on ebay who did his. I been trying to find people on ebay who does repairs with lifetime warranty and don't see any for Fleetwood 1995. Anyone know of anyone who does Fleetwood repairs with lifetime?

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got cluster back and repaired. I didnt use the lifetime warranty repair person since it would have been his first 95 fleetwood to work on. But I got a 5 year warranty on repair though.

Next question though now is. I changed distributor, plugs and wires. Person at advance auto said plug gap for 95 fleetwood is .50. Is this correct? as I put wires back as they came off yet still skipping now like it wants to almost cut off when giving it gas to leave from stopped position. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Did you change the distributor? If you did I hope you still got the old one.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I got the old one, figure I go out and check again on wiring on plug wires to be sure they are correct since it is dark outside and can see better and seen cylinder 5 and 7 was backwards so unplugged both from distributor and reversed those two and now no skipping and running like it should. By the way I bought the distributor all put together and sealed. Last time I got rotor separate and used old hull and had trouble so best buy whole thing put together already.

Thanks for the quick reply also.

Having trouble with trunk not pulling down and diagnosed it from a post I found with a meter and seen from them instructions it is the pull down motor bad.

Hope last thing, never know. Past few months I turn a signal on (left or right) it blinks about 2 times and stops and I have to manually turn it off and turn it back on to blink and blinks twice again and no more till turned off and back on..etc Any idea what this problem is? Something attached to column of steering wheel or what?

Again thanks for the help and info

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
On the pull down I'll bet its the switch.. On the blinker I have seen LED bulbs cause problems. So make sure they are not LED bulbs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts