Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I have my first problem already. :p The rear corner of the front passenger side window is all that goes up. I only have the window up at the moment because I helped it up as my girlfriend powered it there...

So.. What do I need to know in order to attempt fixing this myself? If anyone can help with taking the door panel off through putting it back on, I'd appreciate it - oh, and all that's in-between.. From what I've told you - does it sound like it's off the track? Or is it a more complex problem of some sort?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Most likely a broken plastic clip that holds the window regulator into the metal track on the bottom of the window. Very common issue. You can either replace the regulator or replace just the plastic guide. I have the part number at work and I'll get it to you in the AM. It may just be off the track too. Sometimes, the vertical tracks come apart from the mounting bracket (cheap spot welds) and it allows the track to move forward which allows the window to drop in the front. In that case, you need a track, or must repair yours.

·
Registered
04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS
433 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
Okay. I have my first problem already. :p The rear corner of the front passenger side window is all that goes up. I only have the window up at the moment because I helped it up as my girlfriend powered it there...

So.. What do I need to know in order to attempt fixing this myself? If anyone can help with taking the door panel off through putting it back on, I'd appreciate it - oh, and all that's in-between.. From what I've told you - does it sound like it's off the track? Or is it a more complex problem of some sort?

Thanks in advance...
Another very common problem with these cars. It's just the window roller is broken. You can get replacements through the dealer for like 50 cents each or so. It's not too tough to do, either.

Here's a cut n' paste from an SS forum user:
Here's my write up from about 5 years ago.
Your problem is the same as many others on the list. The guide in the track has broken. The old versions look like little torpedoes, the new replacements are round and actually roll in the channel. If you are under warranty it's covered. If not you can do it yourself. Basically you remove the door panel, bend the end (right next to the rivet) of the track (or grind a little notch with a dremel tool) on the side that failed, remove the old pink looking carrier (plastic) and replace it with the new teflon round one. After you bend the track at the very end just inside the rivet (you'll see what I mean if you look at it), then insert the new roller. Take a small 2" C clamp and press the window arm into the new roller. I can do it in about 10 minutes after the door
panel is off. Parts needed are; Rollers for the windows (8 needed to do all windows) PN - 09666748, Bearing (About $1.10ea) Plastic panel fasteners (5ea front door,4 ea back door) PN - 10161510, fastener, Special (about $.19 ea as I recall). I have done at least one roller on each window already and both on the fronts. When you have the panel off it would help if you put some wheel bearing grease in the track. This will keep the old style from binding and breaking. If you ever have one fail in the down position you can put the window up by
having someone guide it while you activate the switch.
Need any other help let me know.
NOTES - some folks will tell you to drill out the rivet, insert the new roller and replace the rivet with a screw and bolt. It's your choice - but I always go with whats easiest and what works. Getting those rivets out is no easy task. For the 2" clamp to press the roller into scissor arm just go to Harbour Freight or one of the other inexpensive tool stores. Get a 2" C clamp and pull the little foot off the end, The stump that remains will fit perfectly into the indentation on the knuckle on the arm. You'll see exactly what I mean when you get it off. Make sure to cut the old broken roller out of the track - I use a pair of wire cutters and cut it down the middle. Also to get the the
door panel off the door sometimes the top sticks. There are some little tabs on the door where the panel sorrt of locks into. All you need to do is put a little pressure on the panel like you are trying to takeit off, and hit the top of the panel in an outward and down ward motion. This will pop the panel out of the grooves.
You can also use vice grips instead of the clamp. Door panel comes off really easy. There's a screw where the handle is and I think two at the door pull. The seat/window controls just pop out and unplug. Just use a flat screwdriver and pry the clip in front (I think, could be the rear though). Then pop all the plastic clips and lift up on the panel to take it off. Easier to do if the window is down. Get some extra clips, cuz you'll break a few.

Do yourself a favor and get a set of GM service manuals on eBay. I got my 2 volume set for 40 bucks. :) Just save a search for "1995 fleetwood manual" or something and you'll eventually get one. There's a couple on there now, but only Vol 2.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
It happened to our 95 FWB also....... This girl at the dealership just played around with it for a little and got it back on track.. Works fine now!!!

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
elwesso said:
It happened to our 95 FWB

Define "our" Wes :histeric:
More like "It happened to my GP's FWB"
I think I'm doing a good job of KC here :D

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Yeah you do seem do be filling in for him good!!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info.. Jeez, I wonder if I could get as lucky as Wes and just try to get it back on track without taking anything apart.. I'm not the greatest at taking things apart and getting that back perfectly again. I have lots of patience in some areas - but none in others. :(

Being we're going to have rain all week, I wonder if I should just take it somewhere and get it done. How much could that cost? Can't be much, right? I don't have anywhere roof to work under...

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
It shouldnt be too much...... i cant say for sure, but dont let them replace everything because their too lazy to figure out whats wrong.......

And, you guys are gonna get pounded........ Indianapolis got 7in of rain.....! Yesterday alone!!! This is the most rain weve had since like the 1800s...... :shocked2: WE got a delay today because of all the rain........

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Katshot said:
To be honest, unless it is REAL cold, or REAL hot, I have my windows open and tunes cranked! :thumbsup:
Ditto! I just had it done. It was only $60.00 so I went and did it. It's raining here so... I had two bulbs replaced while I was at it.. No big deal. Thanks all!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts