Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 flt wood new owner

Just got a 95 fw , are there any know problems with this model year? any news regarding the 95 will be appreciated

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Re: 95 flt wood new owner

The 94-96 FW(B) seem to be fairly bulletproof with good maintenance..... One of our moderators here has a 94 FW with 280k+ miles, and hasnt had major repairs other than a tranny replacement......

·
Registered
754 Posts

:welcome:

Billwater,

According to those who know, the 95 is the best year you can get. Just get a real GM (Helm) service manual so you can chase down codes if they ever appear and keep up with the routine maintenance.

She'll do you proud.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Just returned with my 95 FW, drove thru WY, UT, hit loits of snow, the 95 drove fantastically. The traction control was great. Learned alot about the car. It wa a pleasure to drive.ALL 1957 miles to home!!!!!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts

Im sure the FWs do great in the snow..... Just add some snow tires and youll have a car that will do better than some SUVs with all season tires!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:) Ref: snow tires, In WA state we get a little snow, My front wheel drive car ( according to to the tire folks) want to put snow tires all the way around, but on my 95 FWB should I just put on rear ?? yr thoughts on studded snow tires....vs: regular snoe tires

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
We get a lot of snow and ice and all the rest around here, we've never needed anything more then all season tires on our FWDs. Sometimes winter tires would be nice but for the most part it's never a problem at all, and when the ice is bad enough that you can't go anywhere most people aren't going anywhere anyway.

I got them for one of our RWD cars last year, I just put them on the back since I've never had any steering problems with them, just the back end wanting to move around. Studded tires aren't allowed in Ontario so that wasn't an option.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
If you dont get a lot of snow, you probably dont need snow tires...... I have studded tires for my Q45 (Just for ther rear, and my all seasons up front).. I like studded better, because they have a good tread pattern similar to regular snows, and have excellent traction on ice..... If I had to choose, Id put regular snows on the front and studded on the rear....

Rememeber that regular snow tires ware out VERY fast, so their only good for 2 or 3 seasons (that what adds the traction, very soft rubber), whereas studded snows can have a little higher treadware index because of the studs....

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
When studded tires get worn down or start to dry rot, you can always do what a friend of mine did, a sparkily burnout. :D Also, double check on wether or not studded tires are legal in your area. Some places outlaw them because they supposedly tear up the roads. (they do if you use them for the burnout idea though)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here in Finland there`s snow and ice always in wintertime. Most of the drivers have M+S tire because they simply are as good as winter tire(with spikes) on snow, but on very slippery ice wintertire are still more efficient. Nevertheless, on highways M+S tire are both nicer( they are a lot more quiet) and they last longer(usually 5-6 winterseasons while winter tire last only 3-4 winterseasons).
Unfortunately they use salt(that causes rust of course)with sand here when trying to melt the ice on the roads,which gives me a good reason to store my Fleetwood in the garage until spring.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
M+S (aka all season tires) arent enough! I have those all around, and I always get stuck!!! I dont think their as good as regular snow tires, much less studded tires...

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
elwesso said:
M+S (aka all season tires) arent enough! I have those all around, and I always get stuck!!! I dont think their as good as regular snow tires, much less studded tires...
All season tires aren't as good as snow tires, but depending on the car they could be good enough. Keep driving the Fleetwood and see if you think it really needs a set of winter tires or not. You might not.

Front wheel drive cars are usually better on snow and ice then RWD cars are.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Yes, this is true.... Dont ask me how I know!! :D

The FW probabbly has better weight distribution than the Q, so you may be fine.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
elwesso