Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently broke down and have to have my car towed to the shop to have the fuel pump replaced. Unfortunately I didn't have time to do it myself. It ran great when I got it back. However now when the tank gets slightly below 1/4 tank (3-4 gallons left) it starts missing and has no power. I suspect the pump is sucking air and consequently lossing fuel psi. I have not been able to verify this with a guage yet. Seeing how I spent my hard earned money to have it repaired I brought it back to the shop. The shop could not reproduce the problem . No surprise seeing how they never got the tank below a 1/2 and proceeded to tell me the car will run rough when its below a 1/4. Right. Anyway my question is what would happen, if anything, if the fuel pump strainer fell off or was never put on? Also has ayone ever heard of a replacement pump being physically shorter and running the car out of gas before the tank was actually empty? Thanks for any insight. - CWOmike

95 Fleetwood Brougham 72K. Best ride I've owned

·
Registered
927 Posts
Be careful some shops don't replace the strainer (small filter on bottom of fuel pump) UNLESS you demand they do.

Otherwise I'm not sure about the pump being different issue but I would also suspect maybe the regulator itself is defective.

A thorough check by a mechanic should be able to diagnose if it's the pump that is the problem or not and of course next time you take it back to the mechanic make sure it's doing the symptoms or else they will just treat you like a quack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was banking on the shop taking enough gas out of the tank to at least recreate the conditions. Unfortunately they didn't and when its happened to me so far I've been in the middle of Washington DC rush hour traffic and can't limp the car back to the shop to show them. I need to plan a little better next time. The regulator is new and according to the repair bill I was charged for a new strainer. Hopefully I can time it right and run the tank down, recreate the problem, check the fuel psi myself and bring it in again. Thanks for the advice. - CWOmike

·
Registered
'94 Fleetwood Brogham, '94 Fleetwood, 2010 SRX 4WD, F250
768 Posts
Did you see the parts installed and removed for comparison sake? I'm wondering if the new pickup doesn't go quite as deeply into the tank as the original pickup tube.

Also, are you gaging the remaining 1/4 tank of fuel on driven miles, or dashboard gage reading. COuld be the sending unit is shoing 1/4 tank and there is really a lot less in the tank.

...Just a few thoughts.

I appreciate your frustration when others work on your vehicle. I had to take my Ftwd. back two times to get the upper ball joints greased with an oil change when I was assured they wee greased. I had to show the shop manager that the grease fittings still had the dust and dirt layer on them.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
How many miles are on that tank when it starts to sputter? If you are at 325+ miles, it may be the sending unit reading wrong and you are really very low on gas.

just a thought....

cwomike said:
I recently broke down and have to have my car towed to the shop to have the fuel pump replaced. Unfortunately I didn't have time to do it myself. It ran great when I got it back. However now when the tank gets slightly below 1/4 tank (3-4 gallons left) it starts missing and has no power. I suspect the pump is sucking air and consequently lossing fuel psi. I have not been able to verify this with a guage yet. Seeing how I spent my hard earned money to have it repaired I brought it back to the shop. The shop could not reproduce the problem . No surprise seeing how they never got the tank below a 1/2 and proceeded to tell me the car will run rough when its below a 1/4. Right. Anyway my question is what would happen, if anything, if the fuel pump strainer fell off or was never put on? Also has ayone ever heard of a replacement pump being physically shorter and running the car out of gas before the tank was actually empty? Thanks for any insight. - CWOmike

95 Fleetwood Brougham 72K. Best ride I've owned

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Happened again today. Based on having a 23 gal tank I have only been able to fit about 19.5 gals in the tank each time I've filled up when this happens. Before I had the pump replaced I put as much as 22 gals in the tank with no loss of power/missing symtoms. It probably would have run out of gas fairly quickly at that point but I never had any problems. In my excitement to get my running car back I didn't ask to look at the old parts. Stupid on my part but nothing I can do now. Oh well. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
'94 Fleetwood Brogham, '94 Fleetwood, 2010 SRX 4WD, F250
768 Posts
I know it's a hassle, but you might try taking it back to the shop. You should get more than 19 gal. from a full tank. I think the installation or parts were bad.

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (some show and some go!)
607 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts