Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. There's not much to this story.. I don't normally get into these situations but it just happened. We were going about 40 or 50 mph when it began - and I pulled on him the whole time. I was a car-lenth ahead after about 5 seconds... Is this normal? Or was his car crap? It was probably about an 87 or 88 model...

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
If I can recall recall the late 1980's Camaros, they were around 220 or 230 hp for the 5.7 liter?? I almost bought a 1987 Trans Am GTA with the 5.0 in the early 1990's and it felt really strong. It only had 50,000 miles on it and he wanted 10,000. I think the 5 liter was about 205 hp? Maybe his engine was just played out. :D

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You've got it all about right.. At the least, very close.. I used to drive all those cars. Formulas, TA, Z28s... But that's what I'm wondering - if his car is just old and weak...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
You've got it all about right.. At the least, very close.. I used to drive all those cars. Formulas, TA, Z28s... But that's what I'm wondering - if his car is just old and weak...
I think stock those cars were high 14's, low 15's in the 1/4 mile. You car *stock* should be mid 15's or so. So I'd say it was a pretty fair run. Maybe your car was in a better state of tune than his.

I love beating the sporty cars. :)

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Bill's right about the "state of tune". The specs that we always like to quote are usually taken from magazines and the are provided through the use of new cars and professional drivers. True they do "correct" their data sometimes but the main point I'm trying to make is that out on the road there are a lot of variables and add to that the age of the two cars in question here and you get the same scenario I always talk about, any car on any day. ;)

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds about right to me.. Cool.. It certainly IS nice to beat a car that you just don't think you should.. That's what makes me want to get those few little mods going. Nothing big deal - just a little something extra.. I'll get to it eventually...

·
Registered
586 Posts
If the IROC was stock its a slug on wheels. With a few sinple bolt-ons though they really wake up.

I'll get more info on that once we put the motor back in my bro's formula 350 in the spring :worship:

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
AKPsiMC03 said:
If the IROC was stock its a slug on wheels. With a few sinple bolt-ons though they really wake up.

I'll get more info on that once we put the motor back in my bro's formula 350 in the spring :worship:
Compared to what we had even in the mid 90's, the late 80's Z28's and GTA's were slow, but at that time they were considered pretty fast. When I was in highschool, my Charger was the only car considered to be able to beat my friends IROC. Remember the "2nd horsepower war" started around 1982 or so with the GT Mustang producing a lackluster 150 hp with a V8! And people were happy to get that! And Buick had the 3.8 turbo Regal, and everyone else followed from there. In fact I think it sort of ended with the GM F body dying off last year. But I hear too many Civic owners calling the '90's Trans Ams "slugs" and it bothers me because their power was built up from small roots and got better and better, including handling, I respect that.

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
AKPsiMC03 said:
have you even considered an 03 cobra? even a GT or a Mach 1 is a good powerhouse
Absolutely, I think the new Cobra and Corvette are the last of the "musclecars" I should have mentioned that, thanks. I sort of wanted to refer to the 1990's because it's like everyone produced a fast car at that time, it was a fun rivalry. Now, it's almost like the luxury cars will pick up where the sport cars left off?

·
Registered
586 Posts
But now the sped wars seems to be in the following cars:
Civic SI with its penis shifter ont he dash
The Focus SVT (my mom has one and i love when she lets be drive it) rumors have it that it's getting a turbo soon.
The Neon SRT-4 which is still a crappy chrstler product.
The Mazdaspeed Protegé which will probably be my next car... unless i can afford a Marauder

GM needs to get in this battle.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
Wait a minute.. You're planning on going from an Eldorado Touring Coupe to a Mazda Protege??
My wife has an '02 Protege'5. Great little car. The thing handles the balls. It's so much fun to toss around in the corners. It's actually one of the best handling cars I've ever driven. Having said that, it needs another 100 hp or so. :) Straight line acceleration is "oh so boring." :)

And a girl I work with's husband just bought a Mazdaspeed Protege. Ya know, the turbo one? It's a dog. Took it to the stip and he was running 15.8's... *yawn* ;)

·
Registered
586 Posts
well if its a dog.. maybe not.

If i have to get a small car id get that. If not i wanna get in something RWD like a marauder or a Crownvic w/ the sport package. Maybe a mustang or camaro. But I'd really like it if i could get a new F-150

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
AKPsiMC03 said:
But now the sped wars seems to be in the following cars:
Civic SI with its penis shifter ont he dash
The Focus SVT (my mom has one and i love when she lets be drive it) rumors have it that it's getting a turbo soon.
The Neon SRT-4 which is still a crappy chrstler product.
The Mazdaspeed Protegé which will probably be my next car... unless i can afford a Marauder

GM needs to get in this battle.
I drove a Mazdaspeed Protegé and I can tell you that it is a real nice car. It's fast but no muscle car. The Marauder on the other hand is a muscle car. Have you driven one? If not, do yourself a favor and drive one. Don't listen to anyone that talks it down, decide for yourself. They are a 90% hot rod. The car LOOKS hot, DRIVES hot, and is the performance deal of the century at $30K (or less if you shop). And best of all, there's no other car that makes cars ahead of you move aside like this one. ;)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Katshot said:
I drove a Mazdaspeed Protegé and I can tell you that it is a real nice car. It's fast but no muscle car. The Marauder on the other hand is a muscle car. Have you driven one? If not, do yourself a favor and drive one. Don't listen to anyone that talks it down, decide for yourself. They are a 90% hot rod. The car LOOKS hot, DRIVES hot, and is the performance deal of the century at $30K (or less if you shop). And best of all, there's no other car that makes cars ahead of you move aside like this one. ;)
You can get an 03 marauder for 6 grand off right now...Katshot: can the marauder be easily modded. I might want to drive one some time soon.

·
Registered
433 Posts
AirJigga25 said:
You can get an 03 marauder for 6 grand off right now...Katshot: can the marauder be easily modded. I might want to drive one some time soon.
I hear a set of 4.10's and a chip (or maybe programmed ECM, not sure which :confused: ) really wake those cars up. The power rack and pinion steering is supposed to handle really well and have a nice feel. And they are much roomier and more comfy than the Impala's. :)

But they're slow out of the box. :D

Then again, so was my car. ;)

Check out their Marauder Forums for some info.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Unfortunately, they ARE NOT quite up to GM B/D-body performance off the line since the engine builds very little bottom end torque. I have the same engine in my '03 Lincoln Aviator and intend to do some mods to it soon so I'll let you know how it goes. BUT...they DO pull strong once they catch their revs so it's a blast to drive. I wouldn't say it's bigger than an Impala SS/Caprice and it's DEFINATELY smaller than a Fleetwood. I'd say it's approx. the same size as an Impala SS but rides/drives MUCH better (the benefits of more modern technology). I understand the car is slated to be dropped in '05 so you still have plenty of time.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
About this Discussion
42 Replies
11 Participants
Ralph