Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The steering wheel feels a bit loose in my car. And, I notice that when I'm driving along and I turn a bit to the right, I feel kindof a tug on the steering wheel - pulling a bit toward the right. It almost feels as if it's helping me steer. Wierd.. What is it? Otherwise.. Tell me a little bit about the steering rack.. Could it need replacement? Or is this a common problem that just needs tightening?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS
433 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
The steering wheel feels a bit loose in my car. And, I notice that when I'm driving along and I turn a bit to the right, I feel kindof a tug on the steering wheel - pulling a bit toward the right. It almost feels as if it's helping me steer. Wierd.. What is it? Otherwise.. Tell me a little bit about the steering rack.. Could it need replacement? Or is this a common problem that just needs tightening?

Thanks in advance...
It's probably your variable assist "hiccuping." Mine does it too... Momentarily goes to full assist, but just for a sec... It's quite annoying, isn't it. :devil:

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Anytime you buy a used car, it's good idea to get the front-end inspected. I'm sure it needs an alignment.
As for your steering, it's not a rack. Your car has recirculating-ball steering, not rack and pinion. There's plenty to cause a loose steering feel. Anything from a bad idler arm, to a bad center link. Lower ball joints are also very common on those cars. That's why I always suggest a complete front-end inspection and alignment.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
Thanks.. I'm getting a front alignment on Saturday... I'll bring it to Sarant Cadillac for the rest of the steering issues...
No need for the dealer. After the front end inspection, any required repairs, and alignment, if there's any issue with the steering, post it and we'll get you through it REAL easy.

Come on Sal, you run the BEST Cadillac forum in the friggin' WORLD, and you're gonna go to the dealer for some diagnosis on your Fleetwood?!

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're right.. Okay. After the alignment, I'll do what I can myself.. The only problem is, I'm terrible at auto mechanics.. I never took any classes and never did anything other than basic stuff. I'd love to learn, though...

·
Registered
06 STS-V, 94 Fleetwood TS
754 Posts
Sal,

If you want to really have some fun and lose the variable assist for a while, simply unplug the connector below the steering shaft sensor near the firewall. This will put the system at FULL assist and take you whooshing instantly back to 1965 and pinky finger steering.

I have found that doing this will actually help flush any dirt through the system and magically repair the issue you are having. Just drive it for a few days and then plug it back in.

Just be careful driving for the first mile or two... it WILL be different.

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
Damn. I want a connector to plug in......

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you. Maybe this will work and clear out whatever's in there. With my luck, the constant use will burn the whole system out, though. Ahh, I'll try it.. I guess I'll just go and unplug a few things and see what happens. I don't know what the plug looks like. Is it labeled? :p

Oh and could I ask you a favor? Would you mind trimming down your signature image? It stretches the board to the right quite a bit. I could help if you'd like. I can have it look pretty much exactly the same...

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
What is the perferred alignments specs that people keep on the 93-96 (I guess really, 77-96) FWB's?

On my 91 Bonneville LE that I sold a couple years ago, I set it to max caster (grind and hammer it to max it out, then tweak for pulling), then -0.5 degrees camber, and 0.02 degrees toe in. ( I did all the alignments except the camber in my driveway) Never ever wore out any tires.

It handled excellent for a FWD car. Now, for the FWB....

Initially I am guessing max caster is around 4 to 5 degrees, and camber I would initially stab at -0.5 also. Toe, depends on suspension wear, goal is 0 degrees toe while driving. Go positive for performance driving, at the expense of the tires life... Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Tom

·
Registered
68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)
1,623 Posts
toomanytoyz said:
It's probably your variable assist "hiccuping." Mine does it too... Momentarily goes to full assist, but just for a sec... It's quite annoying, isn't it. :devil:
Mine does the EXACT SAME THING. I thought it might be the variable assist too. Great minds must think alike.:lildevil:

How do we get rid of this, I just had the variable steering assist sensor replaced.

These cars did not have rack & pinion, they had the older recirculating ball gearbox.

The variable assist steering uses a sensor, that mounts on the steering shaft very close to the firewall to dectect how far off center the wheel is. It combines that info with the vehicle speed to give less assist at higher speeds and even less assist the closer to straight ahead driving (as in highway cruising). When it works it's nice, and as mentioned if you disconnect it, you get 100% full assist, which is quite a trip, especially with a boat behind your car!

I guess Cadillac's earlier attempts at variable assist power steering used a gearbox with different gear widths. My 1968 service manual shows wider gears on center than on the edges (internal gearbox cutaway photo), I wonder how effective that was!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts