Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I forgot what the difference was. Would somebody please remind me?

Thanks...

Boy am I glad to be in the market for one of these cars...

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
I've done a lot of reading, and the link below should answer ALL of your questions.

I think the main differences are the vinyl top and that in the '95 and '96 models the final drive ratio is different between the std. Fleetwood and the Brougham. It may have something to do with a towing package, but I'm not sure.

'93 and '94 have the same look, but the '93 doesn't have the LT1, and the '94 is missing a few extras like this "quiet cam" feature they added in '95 plus some extra sound deadening. Also, '95 was the first year they went with R-134a refrigerant in the A/C.

http://209.145.176.7/~090/awh/cfb.html#spec

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
Get the Brougham just because it has rear seat vanity mirrors!

There's other differences that I don't remember, but Kat will.

He will tell you to get the Brougham because they are less likely to be abused fleet cars.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
All true. The difference between the base Fleetwood and Fleetwood Brougham are:
1. Unique trim style (seats, moldings, etc)
2. Driver memory seat
3. Heated front seats
4. Power lumbar adj.
5. Articulationg front headrests
6. Rear seat armrest w/dual cupholder
7. Rear compartment overhead illuminated vanity mirrors (except with astroroof)
8. New design fully padded vinyl roof
9. Unique cast aluminum wheels
10. Rear axle ratio

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. All good points.. I like the fact that the Brougham will less-likely have been a fleet car. And, if the sound-deadening is true - that too. Of course, I like the idea of the quiter cam as well... I guess the vanity mirrors would be cool, too.. :)

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm... I want the moonroof... I guess I'll lose those rear vanity mirrors if I go that route.. IS there more sound-deadening? And IS the quieter cam actually noticable?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Personally, I would try and find one with the tow package..... It includes extra cooling fans, and an external tranny cooler (CRUCIAL to long lasting trannys)

And if your gonna do it, you might as well go all the way..... You wont be dissapointed......

You may not loose the rear vanity mirrors if you have a sunroof put in aftermarket......

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, Brougham gives you the 2.93 gear. That does not mean that the Fleetwood doesn't have 2.93 though. Mine does, but then mine is a shamefull R1P Commercial Chassis...

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Katshot said:
Actually, the Brougham has all the towing package stuff except the HD cooling (radiator, mechanical fan, and waterpump)
I didnt know that...... So its standard on the brougham but an option on the base.....

I always learn something new from you!!!! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I want the special cooling features - could I add them in later if the model I buy doesn't have them? Or would it be impossible to find or just not possible to do for one reason or another?

...AND... IS there more sound-deadening on the '95 Brougham than say a '94 Brougham or plain Fleetwood? And IS the quieter cam actually noticable?

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
There's two cooling system options actually. RPO codes VO3 and VO8. VO3 is "extra capacity" cooling and VO8 is heavy duty cooling. If you get the HD cooling option, you end up with a "mechanical" belt-driven fan and I believe waterpump too (don't quote me on the waterpump). The extra capacity system is (IMO) the better system since the electric fans will keep the engine cool even if sitting in traffic whereas the mechanical fan is just like older cars and depends on engine RPM to have full cooling.
And Dean, your car is an R1P "Livery Option" not a "Commercial Chassis". The V4U Coachbuilder delete package is generally considered the "Commercial Chassis".

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
Katshot said:
There's two cooling system options actually. RPO codes VO3 and VO8. VO3 is "extra capacity" cooling and VO8 is heavy duty cooling. If you get the HD cooling option, you end up with a "mechanical" belt-driven fan and I believe waterpump too (don't quote me on the waterpump). The extra capacity system is (IMO) the better system since the electric fans will keep the engine cool even if sitting in traffic whereas the mechanical fan is just like older cars and depends on engine RPM to have full cooling.
And Dean, your car is an R1P "Livery Option" not a "Commercial Chassis". The V4U Coachbuilder delete package is generally considered the "Commercial Chassis".

What comes on the VO3? A higher capacity radiator and water pump? Are the electric fans the same? Is this all that would be needed to make a Brougham into a good towing package?

On that topic, is the towing package just a 'towing harness' plugged in-line to the standard wiring harness, or is it completey different harness front to back?

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
There is only one water pump but on the VO8 you get a belt-driven clutch fan, different radiator, and fan shrouds. It's a big goofy looking rig.
On the VO3 system, you get dual electric cooling fans, a small primary one and a larger secondary one.
As for the towing harness, as I recall, it's a different harness but a call to the local Caddy dealer could confirm it.

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
I got my info on the sound deadening and "quiet cam" from this book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0873419251/qid=1060870727/sr=1-9/ref=sr_1_9/104-3249011-7851123?v=glance&s=books

I don't know if it's really noticeable, but it would make sense. The way I see it, the '93 model had the L05 engine, which wasn't a real powerhouse. In '94 they went with the LT1, and probably got some complaints, so in '95 they started refining.

To me, '95 or '96 would be the preferred way to go. But If I find a cherry '93 or '94 I'll jump on it. I'm more interested in the size, comfort, and look than I am the performance.

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
Elvis said:
I got my info on the sound deadening and "quiet cam" from this book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0873419251/qid=1060870727/sr=1-9/ref=sr_1_9/104-3249011-7851123?v=glance&s=books

I don't know if it's really noticeable, but it would make sense. The way I see it, the '93 model had the L05 engine, which wasn't a real powerhouse. In '94 they went with the LT1, and probably got some complaints, so in '95 they started refining.

To me, '95 or '96 would be the preferred way to go. But If I find a cherry '93 or '94 I'll jump on it. I'm more interested in the size, comfort, and look than I am the performance.
But if saving weight is your concern, then a base '94 would seem to be the option to seek.

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
I like that one, too.

You might consider doing an "advanced search" and looking through eBay's "completed items" listings.

It seems to me that most cars sold on eBay don't reach the reserve price. I know a guy who bought a '71 Delta 88 convertible AFTER the auction ended. The seller was discouraged because he had failed twice to get his reserve price. My buddy said it took him a couple of weeks, but he eventually just talked the guy into selling.

I may try that approach on the black Fleetwood I found here in Memphis.

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Elvis said:
You might consider doing an "advanced search" and looking through eBay's "completed items" listings.
Would that be "going, going, gone"? I only see one Fleetwood in there. A '75...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts