Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Eldo ETC
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went out to my newly acquired 1995 eldo etc and turned the key in the ignition and nothing happened. I tried repeatedly but with no luck. I don't hear any noises coming from underhood and am currently at a loss. The engine doesn't crank at all and I can't hear the starter at all. Does the N* starter have a bendix? any help as where to start would be much appreciated. the only code i'm throwing is P036 and the car is in great shape otherwise. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
Of course, the first suspect would be a weak or dead battery. Since you mentioned getting an error code (P036 = EGR Valve Pintle Position Out of Range) I must assume that you have at least some power from your battery. I would first ensure the battery is fully charged and test it for dead cells.

Next, I would check cable connections including the ground cables to the battery and also to the alternator. You should make sure all your fuses are good as well.

You may want to check cable connections to the starter also.

·
Registered
1995 Eldo ETC
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks kev, battery voltage is fine but doesn't seem to be getting to the starter. After work i will try to follow up on the wires and fuses. Any other thoughts?

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
im pretty sure its ur battery try getting a jump or some other added juice and see if you get something.

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
AdnanBomova said:
my only guess is to make sure your car is on park when trying it!
Good point, it might possibly be the neutral safety switch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just a thought. Check the cable connection right at the starter. GM's have always been notorious for corrosion in that area.:helpless:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just got through with the same problem. If your case is the same as mine, a temporary fix might be to clean the positive battery cable. After I did this, my car started a couple of times and then it was just dead. I had to change the whole positive cable (3 ends: alternator, fuse block, and starter [under the intake manifold]). It was a bitch to do, but I heard dealer would cost you about $500 or so. Hope this helps...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts