Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Cadillac Eldorado
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon Everyone,

I have a few problems with my Cadillac and am scared that this may mean I need to buy a new car. Hopefully you wonderful people can help me out :)

My first problem is the most serious concern I have at this time and started yesterday afternoon. When I drove home from work I noticed a pop, pop, pop sound for approx 5 seconds. I thought it was my imagination and left it to that.

Come today I drove to work and heard the popping again so I decided to open my hood and look. I was able to open my hood, but the popping sound stopped to fast for me to find out what it was so I left the hood open, started my car, shut it off, and then ran to find the sound.

What I found out is the throttle was bouncing (as if you were revving the engine) and that's what was making the popping sound. I spoke with a few car people and they have never experienced this before and don't really know what to make of it. I am scared this may be the end of my car :( Please save me! I should also add that it drives fine it just makes this noise after I turn the car off.

Problem #2 has been occurring for over a year. When I am going at a slow speed such as parking my steering becomes extremely tight, almost as if there is now power steering in my car. Thankfully I live in a modest sized town so I have no problems with it, but if I lived in the city I'd be screwed. Does anyone have an idea about this?

Thanks for your help and I'll be glad to help with as much as I can. If you need me to pull off codes please let me know.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,273 Posts
Afternoon Everyone,

I have a few problems with my Cadillac and am scared that this may mean I need to buy a new car. Hopefully you wonderful people can help me out :)

My first problem is the most serious concern I have at this time and started yesterday afternoon. When I drove home from work I noticed a pop, pop, pop sound for approx 5 seconds. I thought it was my imagination and left it to that.

Come today I drove to work and heard the popping again so I decided to open my hood and look. I was able to open my hood, but the popping sound stopped to fast for me to find out what it was so I left the hood open, started my car, shut it off, and then ran to find the sound.

What I found out is the throttle was bouncing (as if you were revving the engine) and that's what was making the popping sound. I spoke with a few car people and they have never experienced this before and don't really know what to make of it. I am scared this may be the end of my car :( Please save me! I should also add that it drives fine it just makes this noise after I turn the car off.

Problem #2 has been occurring for over a year. When I am going at a slow speed such as parking my steering becomes extremely tight, almost as if there is now power steering in my car. Thankfully I live in a modest sized town so I have no problems with it, but if I lived in the city I'd be screwed. Does anyone have an idea about this?

Thanks for your help and I'll be glad to help with as much as I can. If you need me to pull off codes please let me know.
========================

it just makes this noise after I turn the car off.
not a lot of information to go on - but -
wild-ass-guess -
ISC - Idle Speed Control motor -

If you need me to pull off codes please let me know.
codes are always helpful -
include the definitions with any codes you may have -

·
Registered
95 Cadillac Eldorado
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI Basscatt,

The noise is coming from the throttle under the hood after I turn the car off it pops as if you are giving it gas and then letting off and it will do it anywhere from 3-6 times. I recorded a video that I've uploaded here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPz_wp7gUbk

My codes are as follows:
P017 - Left Oxygen Sensor not ready
P071 - Intermittent MAP Signal
NO IPC
NO ACP
NO SIR
T083 History - Brake Fluid Level Low
S038 Current - Electronic Level Control Exhaust Valve Short to Ground/Open

I changed my spark plugs a few weeks ago and have read that this could be part of the problem. Something possibly bumped. So I pushed all wiring together and flicked the throttle head a few times and it seems to have stopped for now.

Tonight I am going to clean the MAP sensor to try and resolve that code, but the oxygen one I have no idea. Hopefully someone will know what causes the throttle to tick.

----------

I can't edit my post, but I thought I'd throw in there I'm sorry for the jump at the end the hood fell on me LOL

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,717 Posts
A
As for the steering, sounds like 'morning sickness', common problem. Rack is sticking. Try some power steering tune-up in a can.

·
Registered
95 Cadillac Eldorado
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A
As for the steering, sounds like 'morning sickness', common problem. Rack is sticking. Try some power steering tune-up in a can.
Hi Harry,

Would you mean something like this? http://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-and-transmission-fluid/transmission-additive/sea-foam-automatic-transmission-and-power-steering-tune-up/597210_0_0/ If so I know the bottle will have instructions, but if there simple I'd be glad to do this over lunch if possible. Have you ever used this before?

I would also like to add I took the MAP sensor out and cleaned it which helped tremendously with the popping of the throttle and rough driving/idling of the car. Since the map sensor is closed (See Below) I couldn't really clean it out except blowing air into it and kind of tapping it to have a few things fall out.

spacer.gif

·
Registered
95 Cadillac Eldorado
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone have any further suggestions or ideas? I'd love to get this solved why I still have a burning desire to do so :p

Hopefully it's okay to bump this as it's been almost a week with no responses. I read the rules and searched, but it doesn't seem to say anything from what I see.

Thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
If th e popping just started after tuneup sounds like you did knock something loose. I'd start with vacuum lines and then disconnect and reconnect ICM connections. Did you get the ground back on ICM? Sounds like PS pump going out to me.

·
Registered
95 Cadillac Eldorado
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am going to replace my MAF sensor along with the Left oxygen sensor as soon as they come in. However, since a motor can be transversed is the left oxygen sensor on the left from when you're sitting in the car?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts