Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an enquiry for my father-in-law who has owned the car since new.

1995 Cadillac Eldorado engine surge

Symptoms:

While driving, the auto will begin to accelerate without the gas pedal being depressed. With foot removed from the gas pedal the auto will continue to accelerate and go faster and faster until the brakes are applied. After the acceleration/breaking cycle has occurred once or twice the automobile will then function normally for the remainder of the trip.

A local mechanic has attempted to solve the problem by clamping off an air-line which has solved the problem somewhat but now the engine idles at a (slightly) higher RPM than normal/previously.

Any ideas (besides find another mechanic)?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,987 Posts
Start by pulling the DTC's. Does the ISC motor and gas pedal click and ratchet after shut down? Have you checked for vacuum leaks? What "air line" did this mechanic clamp off?

·
Registered
2001 DTS(140K), 2000 ETC(284K), 1990 allante( 80K)
1,915 Posts
mine does that.
i fixed the click with a new ISC but the Sailing is a vacuum leak in the solenoid right above the ISC ( on top of the motor) there is a rubber boot with two cables coming out of it. That is the source of the problem.
i havn't fixed mine but i think clamping the hose line would work you would just have to do it when the engine is running or use soap and water to find the vacuum leak in the boot or hose and seal it up

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,987 Posts
DTC = Diagnostic Trouble Code
ISC = Idle Speed Control

1 - 5 of 5 Posts