Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1986 cimarron 1995 Eldorado ETC, 1997 Eldorado base
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Eldorado ETC. It's a Vin 9 car and I want to replace the engine at some point in the near future.
I want to get an engine from the junk yard (or somewhere) - rebuild it - and drop it in.
My question is what year (or years) are interchangeable with the 95 Eldorado Vin 9 engine?

If there needs to be mods done, what mods should I be concerned about?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,479 Posts
No mods available or to be done. You want a 1995 VIN 9 engine. 1995 was the last year of OBD1 diagnostics and monitoring protocol, so anything after 1995 is no-go.

Rebuild yours - with ANY 1995 engine it's a safe bet that all 32 cam followers and valve stem seals (maybe valve guides, too) will need replacement. Same for timing chain tensioners and guide slippers. Maybe oil pump. Piston rings, all main and rod bearings.

Many special techniques to follow and you WILL need a GM/Helm service manual set. Wait 'till you learn that the cylinders don't get bored and the crank mains and rods don''t get turned.

Look through the Engine Interchange sticky thread at the top of the Engines; Northstar forum threads page.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks submariner409. I have read a LOT about the do's and don'ts as far as the crank/rods/bores - like oversizing the bores is a NO NO, and if you remove the pistons the rod bolts MUST be replaced...
And I would never completely tear down an engine with out changing all the stuff you mentioned. I got all new valves, valve guides, and lifters - I am buying/acquiring parts here and there....
I do have a GM/Helm manual set

I did look through the Engine Interchange sticky, and it says anything from 1993 to 1999 is interchangeable -- yet the change from OBD1 to OBD2 seems to contradict this.
So I guess a better question I should have asked was -
Can I use (lets say a 1997 engine block,heads,guts etc.) and convert it OR make it work in my 1995?

From what I have read the only differences between the vin9 and vinY in 1995 are the intake cams and valve springs - is that correct?

Keep in mind I want to learn about these Northstars as I tear it down. I have experience with Chevy and Ford but I know Caddy Northstars are a totally different animal...

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,273 Posts
I have a 95 Eldorado ETC. It's a Vin 9 car and I want to replace the engine at some point in the near future.
I want to get an engine from the junk yard (or somewhere) - rebuild it - and drop it in.
My question is what year (or years) are interchangeable with the 95 Eldorado Vin 9 engine?

If there needs to be mods done, what mods should I be concerned about?
----------------------------------------
My question is what year (or years) are interchangeable
with the 95 Eldorado Vin 9 engine?

this - copied from
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-engines-system-technical-discussion/199946-northstar-swaps-what-years-interchangeable-differences.html

---------------------------

93/94 - These engines have the knock sensor below the fire-wall side cylinder head, screwed into the side of the engine block. These engines have slots cut into the intake ports to feed exhaust gas from the EGR system into the combustion chambers. Also, the intake manifolds are cast aluminum with an internally mounted fuel rail. The harmonic balancer bolt uses a 24mm socket. Vertical ridges all the way around the outside of the cylinder walls.

95 - Same block casting as 93 & 94 with the vertical ridges down the cylinder walls. Knock sensor retained it's location from 93 & 94. EGR is now fed through the new-for-1995 thermoplastic intake manifold- the slots are no longer cut into the intake ports. A different oil pump is now used, very similar to the original style.

96 - New block casting with no vertical ridges on the outside of the cylinder walls- the walls are now smooth. Heads are a carry-over from 1995. The knock sensor is new and is positioned under the thermoplastic intake between cylinders 3 and 5, screwed into a new hole with M8x1.25 threads. The harmonic balancer bolt is now smaller (M14) and uses a 19mm socket.

---------------------------

the difference between VIN-9 and VIN-Y is the intake cams -

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply basscatt. I did read that, but if you scroll down that post you find this -

Interchangability:

A 93 and onward block & internals can be used on any car all the way up to '99 but you may have to use different heads accordingly. You can drill & tap a hole for the '96-99 style knock sensor under the intake, the boss is there on all blocks.

--------------------------------

So, if this is accurate (and I am sure it is being it is posted by 97Eldo) the only change is the possible relocation of the knock sensor? I doubt the harmonic balancer bolt size will effect an install in a 95...??

What about the OBD1 issue? To take a 96, 99, engine which is OBD2, it must be converted into a OBD1 to work in a 95 - right?
Is there a mechanical/physical difference between ODB1 and OBD2 engines? or is it just computer stuff?

The way I am reading it, I can strip the wiring, intake, coolant crossover, off of an engine all the way up to 1999. Rebuild the mechanical stuff to 95 specs (meaning pistons/rings/heads/valve springs). Strap the 95 harness, intake, and coolant crossover on it and it will work?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts