Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1999 Deville base
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've got a 95 Eldorado, been a great, reliable car for me, for bout 15 years. Has 248k on it, and I think the exhaust cams are worn down. I read where up to 99 will work but does that mean that any and all, up to 99 will have the same motor mount holes in the block and have the same exhaust down pipe bolt-up? Car has a rebuilt front and rear suspension and rebuilt tranny. All It needs is another low mileage engine for me to put new headgaskets on, and install. Need to know what years will work, with no modifications. I read Jake's write-up on interchangeability, but I'm too dumb to figure it out, for sure. Thanks All!

·
Registered
64 Posts
96 up is OBD2 with different sensors/locations.
95 down should work without much worry.

I was going to recommend you read the post on interchangeability.

So now I'll recommend re-reading it.

Bjc789

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,587 Posts
Rebuild the '95. The later engines are quite different.- electrically and sensor-wise.

If you find a used engine or rebuild your present one remember that you need to insert the block cylinder head bolt holes. You don't simply screw in new bolts.

·
1999 Deville base
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I definitely understand the reason for replacing or rebuilding the exact same engine. What I'm wanting to do tho, is replace engine with another, lower mileage unit. The 95 had, like almost 0 head gasket failures, so most of them are probably done. 99 was the worst year for hg failures, I've got one and used Norms on it. Its awesome now. Theres a story on it, from last year. My idea is to find a 97, 98, 99, preferably 99, at Upull, with blown gaskets, that doesnt looks like it has been run to death, and put block inserts and new hg on it. I do know that the cam sensor, crank sensors, coolant temp sensor, and the oil pressure sensors are all in the same place on the 95 obd1 and the 99 obd2. Alternator location and plugs are same. Egr same. So, if the mounts and exhaust are same, why wouldn't this work? On the interchange write-up it saz that the block castings were changed in, I think, 98, but changed how?

·
1999 Deville base
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After carefully rereading the article, I've come to the conclusion that the heads and block are carryover on the outside, from 95 to 99, with the addition of 2 holes for the Seville, one in the head, for liquid cooled alternators one in block for Seville platform motor mount. The knock sensor on my 95 is under the intake, and the cam and cranks are same, same oil filter plate, same motor mounts, same intake and exhaust gaskets. So, as long as I use the 95 intake manifold(obd1), shouldn't the 97, 98, and 99 engines be a direct fit? I'm hoping to find another, later model, like my 99, with lower mileage because of blown gaskets, put Norms inserts and new Felpro hg, and change it out? Have I missed anything?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Kudo’s for doing full research. I can’t chime in on the details, but it looks like you are on your way.

Bjc789

·
1999 Deville base
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, near as I can tell, it's the same. Just have to use original intake manifold, because of the idle control, cruise cont, etc. As long as the exhaust downpipe bolts the same(should?), I think I can go a looking! Harmonic balancer even same. Got both cars, 99 Deville and 95 Eldo. Gonna try n see if downpipe are same angle tomo. But you know how hard that is, to be exact! That's the only thing bugging me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts