Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Deville
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was towed into dealer on Monday 95 Deville. I got a call today, $150 to disassemble steering column, has to change reader, tumbler, and two new keys, totalling $600.00.

I'm guessing reader has to be changes with keys since they have chips in them??

Is this correct?

Any ideas or comments?

Thanks,

Ozzy

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
By "reader" do they mean the theft module?
It shouldn't need replaced. Typically the wires on the lock cylinder fail, but if the key is stuck in there it's the same thing.
The new lock cylinder is pre-coded, meaning if you have to replace the cylinder you have to replace the keys too. They have to match the pellet to the theft module (meaning the old key) and I sell 2 keys if this happens.

Maybe they can't get the old key out to check the pellet so they want to replace the theft module too? Not sure.

More info on the specific failure and details of their diagnosis would help, but it sounds like you are paying an average price for that job.
I am not sure why they would want to change the module, if it's unclear, ask them again to explain why they want to change it.

·
Registered
95 Deville
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The key is not broken or stuck in the ignition. I had put the key in, turned the tumbler and heard a "click". The key turns all the way forward and does not turn the car on anymore. I was able to remove the keys as well.

Can the reader be reprogrammed to read the new key and tumbler?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The theft module learns the pellet code the first key cycle after it's installed. If you replace the module you can use any of the 15 key codes.
If you leave the module in place, all you have to do is stick the old key into a box we call the "interrogator". It tells you the key code. (1-15)
If you have the old key you just use the interrogator to get the code, match the mechanical cut of the new cylinder to the pellet code and cut two new keys.
All you should need is the keys and the cylinder.
I don't know the cirucmstances of your specific vehicle, and it's not impossible that the cylinder AND the module are bad, but very unlikely.
Usually a cylinder and 2 keys is all you need.

·
Registered
95 Deville
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help.

I got my car back on Monday. I checked my codes and now I am getting a RO26.

I looked it up and it mentions it is the driver's side air bag.

What does this mean?

I also noticed the turn signal is harder/stiffer when turning to the right.

There is a strong smell as well, as if they used epoxy somewhere in the steering wheel.

I'm calling the dealer to set up an appointment tommorow.

BTW got banged for 635.00 :banghead:

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The RO26 is probably because they turned the key on with the airbag off while they were working on it.
If the turn signal feels harder one way, they might not have hooked the lever back up properly.

I don't know where the epoxy odor might come from.
Does the horn work alright?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts