Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!! I'm new to the forum but not new to Cadillac. Previously I owned an 84 Sedan DeVille de'Elegance. that car was a dream, even though she had the HT4100.

Anyway, I now have a 95 SDV with the 4.9L engine. It seems that when you drive for a while and shut her off then go to restart (like after fueling) it is very hard to turn over. It's very slow for one or two reveloutions and then starts to speed up and will start. I know I have heard several other GM cars do this and was wondering if it's a classic sign of the starter or could it be other problems.

Thanks!!!!
Jason

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Im not sure what it is, but Id check the obvious like battery and alternator........

To my knowledge, starters dont really get weak, they just die...... Or loose teeth........

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
The obvious stuff has been covered, so I'll throw out a few other things to try.

Let's ignore the slow turning over part for a second and go with the difficult start when warm/hot. That would sound like vapor lock or a fuel supply problem.

Another thing to try is changing the oil and filter. If the oil gets contaminated with gas, or just wears thin you can get these kinds of symptoms.

The only other "electrical" possibility I can think of is maybe your starter motor is overheating. It works fine when it's cold, but once the engine warms it up it could be acting up on you.

Electronics is funky thangs. The work great when they're cold, and then screw up when they're hot. Engines do just the opposite. I guess it's a good marriage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey I'm having the same problem with the rough start after fueling, it just won't turn over sometimes. What did you do to fix your problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
baileyk83 said:
Hey I'm having the same problem with the rough start after fueling, it just won't turn over sometimes. What did you do to fix your problem.
I just tightened and cleaned all the grounds and POS cable connections. Now when I say I cleaned all the grounds, I mean I pulled the locations of all harness ground points for the vehicle from the shop manual. I started in the trunk and worked my way to the engine compartment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
And you're all set now? Where did you get this shop manual from? Thanks alot for the help too

ga_caddy said:
I just tightened and cleaned all the grounds and POS cable connections. Now when I say I cleaned all the grounds, I mean I pulled the locations of all harness ground points for the vehicle from the shop manual. I started in the trunk and worked my way to the engine compartment.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've had several GM's with the same problem. Whether or not a starter can technically get weak, replace it and the solenoid. The solenoid's located on the starter anyway.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
baileyk83 said:
And how exactly did you clean them
The shop manual came from GM. All you do is take the wire off and clean the terminal with some sandpaper to remove any oxidation, make sure the nut,bolt or screw is clean, then reassemble everything.

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
The starter is a DC motor. It uses carbon brushes for an internal electrical connection. The brushes may be almost worn, the starter may have oil in it or enough crud that when it heats up it "drags". I think it's warning you it's close to going out.
If you're inclined you might remove it, clean and relube the bushing/bearings, and replace the brushes...or you could just replace it with a guaranteed replacement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts