Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995 DeVille Base
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to pull the engine out of my 95 Deville 4.9, I've unbolted the top left, and bottom right motor mounts, the transfer case, the 4 bolts on the back of the engine that hold the axle to it, and also unbolted the flywheel from the torque converter. My problem is that when I try to lift the engine, first the car lifts up, then the engine, AND transmission lift up. I don't want to remove the transmission I know it's easier but I just don't want to do it. Can anybody give me any ideas as to what I'm missing?

·
Registered
1995 Deville
164 Posts
I believe that this engine is pulled out from underneath
At least thats how it was done on a u tube video that I remember watching

·
Registered
1995 DeVille Base
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, but I know for a fact that it's also possible to remove at least the engine from the top

·
Registered
2000 DTS 194,000 miles, 2000 DHS 203,000 miles
893 Posts
You have to separate the engine from the transmission about an inch or better to get the 2 dowel pins out of their prospective holes as well as the torque converter center nub out of the flexplate.

·
Registered
1995 DeVille Base
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have to separate the engine from the transmission about an inch or better to get the 2 dowel pins out of their prospective holes as well as the torque converter center nun out of the flexplate.
Ah I just noticed this on my own, but I was wondering how many bolts do you have to remove from the flywheel? I removed three and there are three holes on the replacement engine that match those bolts, but there are three bigger holes, & I noticed that when I move the engine away from the transmission, the flywheel seems to be pulled, the torque converter spins free of the flywheel though. 2015-04-21 19.15.23.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts