Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm popping over from the RWD Fleetwood forum to ask a question about my Mom's car, a 1995 Deville Concours.

She was told by a mechanic she needs new struts, but they are allegedly "crazy expensive". I looked at RockAuto.com, where I usually go to find cheap aftermarket replacement parts, and the only things they listed were AC delco shocks, which retailed for over 1,000 bucks each. For real!?

I don't know much about the 95 Deville, is there a cheaper solution out there? I figured you guys would know!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
Yes, the front shocks on these are computer controlled and thus are majorly expensive. There are passive shocks available but I do not know if they will work on a Concours. A standard DeVille has speed controlled shocks, that simply get stiffer as you speed up. The Concours, however, has a fully computer controlled system that takes input on speed, vehicle direction from lateral sensors, steering angle and it gets input from the shocks themselves in order to make the car ride nice but handle well in an emergency maneuver situation. In other words, replacing the front shocks with passive ones will certainly cause error codes to come up and it may severely, possibly even dangerously, affect the handling and ride of the car.

However, there is good news. Arnott makes a passive shock system that ensures you will not get any codes, but you have to replace all four shocks and the kit is $581. I would think that only replacing the front ones would cause issues. http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_CADILLAC_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid6_pid70.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts