Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i apply the brakes,the middle bulb on one taillight lights the TOP filament instead of the bottom filament as it should.The bulb is good and i even replaced socket holder assembly that holds the bulb.The bulb is inserted properly also.
Also when parking lights are on and brakes are applied,that same bulb does not light at all.
Any clues to a fix are appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I`ve looked thru old threads for a solution,but have yet to find one.

What i find absurd is the "pigtail bulb socket" the bulb fits into is priced at $85 at the dealership.These probably costs a dollar or 2 to produce overseas.
I did`nt want to pay that much so i went to 3 junkyards and found 2 of them for $10 total.
On the original bulb socket,when i wiggled the "ground" wire it would light between the top and bottom filament so i knew the ground was bad.The grounds seem to be good on the 2 from the junkyard but it`s possible they`re rusted inside causing the problem.Let`s face it,they`ve been sitting out in the elements for 10 years or more in a junkyard and could be defective.

I need to find a site where i can get a new "pigtail bulb socket" for much "less" than $85.

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,688 Posts
This is going to sound very dumb... but I have seen it several times. Make sure that you have the correct part# bulb installed. I have seen many mechanics pull their hair out working on brake lights that have the wrong bulb installed. Don't go by what's currently installed or what the parts guy tells you... look it up in the owners manual. Have you swapped known good bulbs from left to right?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Site needed for "pigtail bulb socket" price.

I need a new "pigtail bulb socket" for my rear brake taillight on my '95 Deville.The dealership wants $85 for it and that`s absurd.
Part # is 12141493

Please list some sites that sell this gm part at below cost.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,044 Posts
Re: Site needed for "pigtail bulb socket" price.

The usual 3 - Lindsay Cadillac >>>>>> over there, gmpartsdirect, and gmotors.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
Here is a wild idea. If it is the gnd wire in your old socket that works when you wiggle it, you can cinch it up possible by using somethin like a paper clip or dressmaker pin and drive into the socket from the wire side until it makes a good contact from within. wrap it up with electrical tape and your done! I did this once on an intermittent headlight socket and it worked perfect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts