Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 95 Deville (base model 4.9, not the Northstar), and there is a noticable growling/buzzing noise when the engine is running. It definately sounds like a bearing is about to go. The noise appears to be coming from the AC compressor.

The AC compressor is working fine however. Caddy blows ice cold; all AC functions work as they should.

My question is, if its the AC compressor, is it possible to just change the pulley or hub or whatever the part is where the bearings are... instead of the whole compressor? And if so, whats the cost (or exact name of the part so I can price it), and is this something a "home mechanic" can do on his own or does a shop need to change it?

The car does not leak oil or coolant and runs like a top. Just VERY noisy.

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
If it's noisy when the air is off, it could be the bearing that the pulley runs free on. If it's noisy when the air is on, it could be the front bearing on the compressor itself. Not aware of which compressor you have, but replacing the pulley bearing requires a special puller on the old type compressors, like an A6 etc.

·
Registered
'87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL
879 Posts
I 'think' it can be done by dismounting the compressor(without removing the lines). There should be enough 'dangle' room to remove the pulley. Not much fun though.....

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
If the a/c works fine and the noise doesn't change with a/c status I would look closer for other causes. I would release the belt tension and spin each pulley by hand. Lots of other things could cause that noise. Both my waterpump and power-steering pumps have caused growls and my waterpump sounded bad and I never lost coolant until it self destructed on me one day.

If it is your a/c I don't know the answer to your questions. That is one of the only original belt driven parts on my car now

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
:yeah: make sure it's not one of the other pulleys. The A/C is pita to get at, way at the bottom of everything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts