Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
04 cts
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked at a 95 brougham hearse with an egr valve that is stuck. Valve is located at the back of the intake manifold (looks like a son of a gun to even get the bolts out, or even see them). Valve is stuck open...diaphram is in a position where it would be with constant vacuum applied. Valve has a rod in the center that goes into the intake manifold. Concerned this is where it is frozen/stuck. Wondering if the intake manifold might have to come off to even replace it. Any tech advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,473 Posts
It really is not that hard to change. I have had a few off and never ran into a problem. If I remember right its 2 nuts and a hose.. Correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
You're right. 2 nuts. It can be a little tight to get to but you should be able to do it with the correct sized wrenches. Not much room to get in there but you can get a bit of a turn each time.
You can also block off the EGR valve connections if you don't want to worry about it. A lot of people eliminate that system completely if the car isn't a daily driver driven in cold weather.

·
Registered
1995 FWB 124,*** miles
2,212 Posts
The EGR valve is the easiest part to remove on an LT1 engine. Try that on 4.9 Cadillac Engine...

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
Oh, do I smell someone else pondering hearse ownership? I sure hope so! Mine has been so much fun to own so far. It's a 1992 Fleetwood with the 4.9. I hope you get it!

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,724 Posts
It's really easy to change. Easiest with a ratcheting box end wrench. No need to take intake (or even the plastic resonator) off. 10mm, IIRC.

HOWEVER, confirm it is a bad EGR, and not a stuck EGR solenoid!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts