Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Deville D'ELAGANCE with a 4.9. Either the flywheel or crank broke and the vehicle will not start. Any known history of flywheels breaking or crankshaft hubs breaking before I rip it down?

·
Registered
305 Posts
frankie p said:
I have a 95 Deville D'ELAGANCE with a 4.9. Either the flywheel or crank broke and the vehicle will not start. Any known history of flywheels breaking or crankshaft hubs breaking before I rip it down?
You can easily take off the plastic flywheel cover to inspect it. Just two or three bolts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had already pulled the cover before I posted. The flywheel will spin with my fingers, but I can not see any cracks or missing bolts on the converter. It is just too hard to see up to the crank flange to see if it broke around it. This is why I asked. At this point, I do not know if I am pulling the engine or dropping the trans.Anybody out there heard of either one happening?

·
Registered
70 Fleetwood, 87 and 90 Brougham, 94 Fleetwood
215 Posts
Flywheels can crack and break at the crank flange. In any event, you will have to remove the transmission to replace it, or you can remove the oil pan for a closer look up in there. It's easier than removing the transmission.

Mike

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
when you turn the flywheel does it turn the torque convrter with it ?

at any rate its gonna be easier for you to drop the tranny out .....On humvees i found a way to do it without dropping the tranny all the way out , i just pulled the bell houseing bolts , rear mount and the driveshaft and could slide it back enough to give me acess , looking at mine i dont think its possible , but look into it if youd like ...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm just curious but is there a reason you think it's the flywheel or crank? What are the conditions of the no start?

EDIT: I didn't read this right maybe,
The flywheel will spin with my fingers
I'm guessing that means it's just spinning free inside the housing huh? :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts