Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's '94 eldorado 4.6 Northstar recently has been experiencing some transmission problems. First, it lost all gears except 2 and rev. I pulled the codes and came up with the following:

p024 history
p056 current
p052 history
p109 history
i052 history
s044 history

I decided to try changing the shift solenoids. This fixed the problem, and the car was back in tip top shape.

About a week later, its back to the same old, and the fuel gauge is going crazy too! It bounces back and forth between 3/4 of a tank and E. Now, the p024 is gone, but the rest remain. Please help. I do know that the p056 code is a speed sensor, so maybe that is the problem, but that doesn't make sense if it worked after I replaced the shift solenoids. Or maybe it does, aparently I don't know. PLEASE HELP! Thank you very much in advance.

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
Did you add the bracket for the filter?? If not the new solenoids are likely broken.

If the filter isn't locked in place by an additional bracket it can move and quickly break the new solenoids.

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What bracket? I did notice that the two solenoids came with a metal strip and bolt, but couldn't figure out what they were for. I figured it was for another model. Where would I put the bracket, and why would the filters need a bracket if they didn't have one before?

·
Registered
Cadillac 1992 Seville, Past 1993 Seville & a 2006 STS V-6
121 Posts
Hey man these eldorados got problems my boss has one just always fill the tank all the way up it is going to cost alot of scratch when all said

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
caddycop; said:
What bracket? I did notice that the two solenoids came with a metal strip and bolt, but couldn't figure out what they were for. I figured it was for another model. Where would I put the bracket, and why would the filters need a bracket if they didn't have one before?
The bracket holds the filter in place. It keeps the filter from breaking the solenoids.

It would need it because the filter breaks the solenoids. The old solenoids had tabs to hold the filter in but they would break.

There are posts with pictures of where the bracket goes. You'll have to search as I did not save them.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,975 Posts
why would the filters need a bracket if they didn't have one before?
It is a modification to prevent it from happening again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts