Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1994 STS, Green
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming home last night, take off from a side street stop. It started shifting through the gears and then all of sudden, acted like it was in neutral. Could rev the car and it was losing speed. Once it slowed to around 15-20 mph, it would grab a little. Shifted down 1 manually, tried accelerator, still revving...shifted down to 2nd, accelerated, got good grab there. I noticed a couple days ago when I got into it good, that I had a delay/slippage from 1st to 2nd. Fluid is good level and good color. Pulled the codes today and I'm getting a P056 (Tranny Input Speed Sensor) error that's current. That's the only "P" code now. Cleared all old ones and took it for a drive. It shifted up through all gears but when I tried to put some speed to it (above 40-45 mph), it kicked out again and started revving up like in neutral. I have reverse as well. Need some help folks. Is this a sensor problem and can I change this one on my own?? Don't want to have to pay CaddyDaddy or someone else to go thru this tranny if it doesn't need it. BTW...247,500 miles on this one and still running strong!! :)

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Tx

·
Registered
1994 STS, Green
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK...did some scouring on the forum and now I got the full picture of the tranny speed sensor issue. Now, my question is could this sensor cause the problems with shifting that I'm experiencing or do I need to look at rebuilding this tranny? I already know I can't expect to have someone fix this for me at some of the estimates I've seen already.

·
Registered
1994 STS, Green
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK...after more searching on here re: the P056 error, I've discovered this was/is quite common and some of the symptoms I've noticed with the SES light coming on/going off over the last couple years is all making sense now. In following a good thread, found alot of information but it was never completed. If any of the people that have experienced the P056 codes with hard shifting and to finally have the torque converter disengage and high rev the motor are still around, please let me know if changing the Input Speed Sensor fixed the issue and if your transmission works properly now??!! Did any of the people that tried the $15 Radio Shack amplifier connected directly to the PCM stick around and did that fix the issue? Don't know if that could be my problem as well. Just looking for some input before I go out and spend the money or junk this car!!

Once again, any input is appreciated!!

·
Registered
94 Eldorado ETC
216 Posts
Some people have had luck with replacing shift solenoids. This actually JUST happened to me tonight, I was driving normally and then it acts as if it downshifts and just keeps revving. I got a lot of codes, like P086 and stuff where pressure is a problem.

So to me I can only see the shift solenoids being a problem, or the torque converter being a problem. Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like what I just went thru, solenoids went out while on a trip. Lost OD, then drive, I couldn't find any help online searching for a fix but seen it mentioned here as a possibility. Mines a 96 Deville and I guess they are prone to burning the shift solenoids out. If you catch it early enough you can get off with changing the solenoid kit (A+B). Drive it longer and rebuild it like I just had done. Hope this helps somebody else. The first transmisson shop cleared the codes so I didn't get to see what it said, but they said that it wasn't the solenoids and it needed a $3,000 rebuild. The second shop knew from just describing it and it was the solenoids, they found the usual clutch dust but also metal shaving in the oil; so... :eek:. But now it shudders after dropping into OD at 41 MPH. still searching this out-
Paulie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts