Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it was another fun night of racing for the caddy. Had 4 runs and went 2 wins and 2 losses for the night. Alright, onto the kill stories.

First kill was a yellow mustang GT w/ exhaust and other unknown mods :) After several attempts at getting the race timed correctly, we went from a 40 punch or so. I pulled him by a car, car and a half maybe and shut down at around 80. 1-0

2nd kill, a supercharged cobra was cruisin around and I decided to see how the caddy would handle a forced induction monster. I didn't expect to win. And I didn't. :) Anyways, he pulled 2 cars
from 40-90 before we both shut it down. Still, I was surprised the caddy was hanging that close with the stang. 1-1

3rd kill, a LS1 Trans/Am was spotted coming up quicjk on me from behind so I decided to floor it and see what happens. Well, not much cuz he was already going way too fast. But, we did line up again for a healthy 20 punch. We took it up to about 70 and all the LS1 had managed to pull was not even a full car. It pulled 3/4 of a car probably. They gave a huge thumbs up and turned off. 1-2

4th kill, a Firebird w/ intake and exhaust. He is a friend of mine so we decided to go from a stop (Not a good idea in the caddy). Anyways, we go on the 3rd honk and he rips me off the line by 2- 2 1/2 cars. I knew his lead wouldn't last long as I passed him w/ ease at about 60 and quickly put a 2 cars lead on him by 75. 2-2

Mods for the night were exhaust only. Also, had 2 other people in the car w/ me weighin it down. I'll be gettin the video camera rolling by this weekend along w/ the nitrous. :)

Btw, anyone got tips on how to launch the seville? I've tried power braking at various RPMs and I still seem to have traction problems. Peace.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not of those races but of future races. The battery was dead and we didn't think about it until after we went cruising. Oh ya, I know street racing isn't condoned that's why I only do so on certain roads that I know from experience to be safe and w/ no other traffic.

Any tips on the launch? :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
A trip to the past....

Lots of years ago..Like 60's.
I was a very avid drag racer.
But I always tried to make the races as safe as possible.
We would usially line up a race at the local drivein and drive to a country road that had little traffic and no intersections.
We would mark off a quarter mile and cruise down the road to be sure that there were no other cars or cops.
I NEVER raced for free.
It took lots of money to build my cars and keep them up.
I made more money racing than I did working.
Vietnam put an end to it all and when I came home street racing was a serious crime where in the past the worst you would get was a speeding ticket.

Glad to see it is still happening.
But always keep in mind.
Safety First.
Pat

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
So you were really into the racing scene, eh? Cool.. I don't think street drag racing will ever REALLY be popular again. Unfortunately.. There are so many cars on the road nowadays.. I wish there were more tracks..

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Playaman,
Unless you're kidding, I'm dying to know what mods are done to your car. 'Cause Lord knows that a '94 STS ain't exactly a race car. Besides, if you really want tips on launching your car, I'm going to need to know what you have done to it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hehe, like I said above, only mod right now is bolted off exhaust system, no cat. That's all that's done to it. :) I'm not kidding, honestly. :) Cadillacs have v8 295 HP engines, as you know. That's more power than an LT1 engine in a camaro. Those are 285 HP stock. So, I'm not sure what you mean by you hope I'm kidding. :) Tomorrow the nitrous kit goes on. So, go ahead and add a 100-150 shot of nitrous to the mod list (haven't decided which pill I'm gonna use). Mods within the next month are the upgraded cams off of chrfab.com along w/ springs and retainers. Also workin on some sort of custom intake. So, there you go. Now... any tips for launching the heavy ass FWD seville STS? :) :)
Lord knows it's not a race car. But a powerful V8 it IS. Thanks.

Oh ya. Raced a vette from an 80 punch last night and it wasn't pretty. He got my by 3-4 cars by 100. OUCH! I learned, the seville, being an auto, isn't a highway demon. :)
Also, lost by about 1 1/2 cars to a modded 2002 mustang GT and beat a 97 mustang GT by about a car. Those old mustangs are getting real tiresome of losing to the caddy :)

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
You manage to find some real slow cars dude. You need to take your car to the track and see the truth. Without juice, that beast won't break 15sec. I'll bet.
And as for the Nitrous kit, do yourself a favor and start saving for an engine, or at least a head gasket job because ALL the Cadillac aluminum engines are well-known to have weak head gaskets and bolts.
As for launching your car, get as much tire as you can, bag the rear, or at least use some serious shocks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be going to the track next weekend w/ the nitrous hopefully if it's open. As for me finding really slow cars... I promise the caddy is a LOT faster than you might think. It's gotta be at LEAST 15 flat off the bottle. I'll bet :). Head Gasket job is cheap cheap cheap considering I do all my car work myself. :) Thanks for the launching tips. :)

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Caddies aren't fast cars. They are fast for their size but they are nowhere quick to be a fast car.

then again i drove a 700+hp 2jz hks tt powered stripped down RX7... now that's a fast car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You drove a supra-powered RX7? I'd like to see pictures of THAT install :) It was a C5 and it slaughtered me. :) Oh ya, raced a modded TT rx-7 that runs mid to high 13's
and he pulled me pretty bad last night by like 4 cars from 20-80.
Also raced a 5-speed Mustang GT from a stop and beat it pretty bad. My guess is bad driver.
Ok, and this one no one will believe as I myself don't believe it. Racing down a highway atl ike 12:00 at night and I see several cars coming back from the local 1/8 mile track. So, I see a Ram-air LS1 Trans Am. To make a long story short, I raced it from like 60 to 100 and beat it. I don't know how. I only beat it by about 1/2 car but I still couldn't believe it. :) Oh well. Nitrous today :)

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Oh, the C5.. Yeah, they're very strong up top - but weak early on.. My L98 C4 beats 'em until about 60mph... The only one that sounds hard to believe is the Ram Air Trans Am! I wonder what happened with that..

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
playaman said:
Oh ya, raced a modded TT rx-7 that runs mid to high 13's
mid to high 13s eh? I thought they run mid 13s stock. 2jz rx7 used to run low 10s. This was few years back when i was really into street racing. Now i'm all grown up and i no longer get to see that car. Had too much problems with the rotary. When it was time for a rebuilt group of friends did a total overhaul. Starting from the frame. Complete reinforcement everywhere. Stripped down to near none. This car was prolly well below 2800lbs in terms of gross weight. Always had serious traction problems but on the highway no one came close (even bikes). Ah good ol back in the days.

as for the c5 not having much down low sounds like driver issue not the car. C5s have lots down low well as up top.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
L98's..... I'm sorry but chevy really messed up w/ the L98 hehe. I guess it's ok since it was GM's first fuel injection car. Aren't they under-powered reallly bad though? Ya, I think their was something wrong w/ the car b/c even before I was racing it I was telling my friend as he was trying to convince me to race it "I don't feel like losing to the "ellis juan" tonight, he'll smoke me". Hehe, oh well. Devil Councour, I'm REALLY interested in seeing (or hearing about) a 2jz motor in a rx-7.

Edit: the 2jz-gte is a toyota supra engine. NOT a rotary engine. What do you mean exactly? Oh, and they're low high 13's low 14's stock (the rx-7). That's not to say that w/ few mods they get very quick very cheap.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
L98 was Tuned Port Injection.. Problems? You're probably thinking about the Cross-Fire Fuel Injection.. The 1984 Corvette had Cross-Fire and the '85-91 had Tuned Port.. The 92-96 had Multi Port...

Regarding the C4 vs C5, nope.. No driver issue. The L98 has more torque down low then the LT1 OR the LS1.. The torque curve is different on all three models and the L98 beats 'em all off the line.. The only Vettes that beat the L98 off the line are the ZR1 and the Z06... That's a fact...

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
playaman said:
L98's..... I'm sorry but chevy really messed up w/ the L98 hehe. I guess it's ok since it was GM's first fuel injection car. Aren't they under-powered reallly bad though? Ya, I think their was something wrong w/ the car b/c even before I was racing it I was telling my friend as he was trying to convince me to race it "I don't feel like losing to the "ellis juan" tonight, he'll smoke me". Hehe, oh well. Devil Councour, I'm REALLY interested in seeing (or hearing about) a 2jz motor in a rx-7.
2jz overhaul is harder than a simple engine and transmission swap. Requires chassis modification and tons of additional supra parts. This overhaul also requires lot of custom fabrication.
(unfortunately this car was wrecked in a street race few yrs back by someone else).

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Rotary needs to rebuilt quite often especially when it is used to race almost everyday. 2jz is more reliable and heavier but trade off is that you can get go quite far with the stock bottom end and tons of aftermarket parts to go with it.

I heard that there are several 2jz powered rx7 around the country.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, I don't want to start a problem here cuz god knows I have enough of those as it is. :) But, the L98 was rated at 245 HP and 340 lb/ft. The LT1 was 300 HP and 340 lb-ft . and the LS1 is 345 HP @5600 and 350 lb/ft @ 4400. That must mean the L98 was making that 340 lb/ft of torque WAY low down like... 2500 or so :) I DO believe your L98 beats C5's though. I won't argue w/ you there as I doubt few would believe some of my kills hehe. I'm still waitin to hear about that toyota supra engine rx-7 w/ a rotary engine ;)

Edit: The 2jz is not a rotary engine is all I'm saying.
2nd Edit: I understand I think. You raced w/ the rotary engine but then opted to swap in a 2jz. Gotcha :)

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
1992 LT1 Corvette:
275 HP @ 5600 rpm / 330 Ft.-Lbs. @ 4400 rpm
1993-96 LT1 Corvette:
300 HP @ 5500 rpm / 340 Ft.-Lbs. @ 4400 rpm

1996 LT4 Corvette:
330 HP @ 5800 rpm / 340 Ft.-Lbs. @ 4500 rpm

1997-01 LS1 Corvette:
345 HP @ 5600 rpm / 350 Ft.-Lbs. @ 4400 rpm
2001 LS6 Corvette: