Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Deville Concours
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a recently bought 94 Sedan Deville, and the blower does not work, but it was bought from a mechanic, and he said he would replace that as soon as it comes in. In the meantime, the A/C compressor didn't turn on, so I've been addressing that.

The problem, which clearly evidenced itself upon charging attempts, was a leak in the hose that goes from the drier to the compressor, and then over to the other side of the engine. Replaced that, with ample swearing...and also replaced the drier since the shrader valve on it was fizzing a bit, and could probably use it anyway. I then tried charging it, and have been met with some confusion.

The compressor will click on, but only for about 2 seconds, and then click off again...it will wait scarcely longer...3 seconds, I would say, then repeat. The pressure builds up to the yellow area on the pressure gauge, and that's when the compressor clicks on, so I didn't want to add more refrigerant. When it clicks on, the pressure drops rather quickly, down to well in the green (probably too low for the compressor to stay on, which might be part of this), then it clicks off...the pressure builds up to the yellow again, and repeats.

Since I don't have the blower yet, I can't test if cool air is coming through, but I have doubts...

As a means of testing, I tried putting the gauge on my 97, which has a working A/C. The same process occurs, except the pressure drop is slower, and only goes to around the bottom of the blue area (full-middle area).

·
Registered
1996 Deville Concours
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
G'ah...excuse my stupidity. I have hence figured out that I simply did not charge enough...and when the pressure gets up there, it triggers the compressor regardless of whether there's a full load of refrigerant behind it or not.

Now the only problem is when I turn the car off after having run the compressor a while, I hear a distinct "hiss" from where the evaporator core must be that lasts for 10 seconds or so...and I can hope that this is merely the refrigerant going through the expansion valve...I can hope anyway...:bomb: It is properly chilling, but perhaps that is temporary. Just in case, could someone tell me the best means as to getting to that blasted evaporator core?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts