Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone :)

I have a 94 Fleetwood that wont start, I get a PASS Key Fault Flashing light and it give me a code 01-43 - Key Resistor circuit open or shorted to battery.

I have tried a spare key and the 10-20 minute on deal and NO WORK ??

What do i need to do to fix this ?? A NEW Central Control Module (CCM) ??

HELP !! PLEASE !!

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Do you have a FSM for that car? That would be the "key" to fixing it. (pun wasn't intended, but it works...)

Don't rush to replace the computer, unless you have lots of money to burn. Wait and troubleshoot it.

You are going to have to find the wires for the pass key under the dash and measure the voltages on it (assuming that is why it is showing the fault). Find out if it is a problem in the column or in the ECM or the wiring.

Has anyone messed with it? Like remote start kits, alarms, etc?

Have you disconnected the battery to ensure all power is removed from the car to reset?

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Usually that kind of problem is because the part inside the ignition breaks and it can't tell what key you're using anymore. Do a search for this. It's a pretty common problem and there are a lot of posts that have information about it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
most likely the passkey system is toasted from too much use and not receiving a signal from the key thing etc. when it tests resistance.

you can bypass it quite easily i can get you some directions on how to but you need a good knowledge of electrical systems or at least how to use resistors and you have to go under the dash but this will almost surely fix your problem because you won't rely on the key anymore.

im not sure if you can but you may try visually checking if the key resistors are making contact inside the lock cylinder etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ocjmakaveli said:
i can get you some directions on how to but you need a good knowledge of electrical systems or at least how to use resistors and you have to go under the dash but this will almost surely fix your problem because you won't rely on the key anymore.
Thanks would be GREAT :)

thanks so much ...

I took it to the dealer today as I am out of town and away from my tools.

I bet they replace the lock cly with the 2 wires in it and RAPE me :-(

Thanks for your help, I will wire it up with a switch to bypass the key check.

Please send me the dirrections

Thanks

Scott

94 Fleetwood Brougham - 34,000 Miles

·
Registered
927 Posts
This is a basic run through of what's needed to be done, you can also download a pdf file with these instructions and a picture also which may help, the link is below.

http://hometown.aol.com/auroragtx/images/SS-Handbook/SS-Handbook.pdf

Pass Key Fault Disable
The wires you are going to cut are both white they are wrapped in Orange tubing you will cut these 2 wires(located in steering column) and put resistors in between to connect these 2 wires together thus the resistors are bypassing the key switch and will give the correct resistance at all times.
Note: remember that although the vats is bypassed you cannot start the car with a key that does not have the vats chip in it because it won't work.
Procedure:
1. Use a voltmeter to reads the ohms from the chip in your key by placing one lead on one side and
the other lead on other side of the chip.
2. After determining your ohmage, get resistor(s) that equal the ohmage you need.
Ex: Mine was 1.1 Kohm. So I got a 1 K resistor and a 100 ohm resistor.
3. If you only need one resistor, go on to step 4. If you need multiple resistors, tie the resistors
together as a chain link. DO NOT lay them side by side and twist together. A little solder will help
hold these together.
4. Unplug the harness (above) located under the steering column. Insert one end of the resistor chain
into one hole of the [prpl/wht & blk/wht] harness leading to the module. Then plug the other end
into the other hole. The snugness of these wires may not be sufficient so hold them in place with
some electrical tape.
5. Insert you key and attempt to start your engine.
If it works: The car will crank and the Pass Key Fault LED will go out. So then cover the resistors
with tape and do not allow them to touch each other w/ the exception of the solder spot. Zip-tie the
wires out of the way so they won't get snagged by anything else. After you do this be sure it still
works and that you haven’t altered anything in the process of cleaning up.
If it doesn’t work: The car will not crank and the Pass Key Fault LED will blink repeatedly or will
stay on. If it blinks repeatedly, you are not getting a connection. Get a second hand to turn the key
while you hold your resistors in place. Keep trying until it works or the LED at least stays on even
though the car may not crank.
If it works, see above. If it doesn’t…..cry like a baby. Just kidding, it will be because your ohms
are off. Be sure your voltmeter is working properly (if you have one with a needle, make sure it is
51 of 51
set at 0 with your adjustment knob) and then double-check your ohmage from the chip in your key.
Repeat procedure.
*By chance, the car cranks but the LED stays on. It is because your ohms are slightly off. In other
words, it is sensing that your key chip is losing its luster and that you need a new one but it’s going
to crank anyways. You don’t need a new key, but you do need to recheck your ohms and repeat the
process.
Notes:
· I went ahead and cut the 2 white wires and soldered in the resistors. It made for a perfect
connection. BUT I made sure I had the correct ohmage and that it worked before I went
ahead with it.
· Although the module has been disabled, you can not crank the car with a key that does not
have the chip in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts