Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Cadillac Eldorado
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have a 94 eldorado with 156k miles. It won't start.

Steps I've taken:

-Tried to start it with starter fluid. It starts but dies after it runs out.

-Changed the fuel filter. while doing that I turned the key and it shot fuel out. So the pump is good

-Smelt fuel from the engine bay. After pulling the intake manifold upper cover off, I saw the fuel pressure regulator would shoot fuel through the top of its vacuum port

So I bought a new regulator and I'm going to put it on. After this, I'm selling the car!

My question is, is there supposed to be a vacuum hose on top of the regulator? I am looking through all data and it shows no such hoses

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,543 Posts
The FPR on the '93/'94 is inside the intake manifold and thus is subjected to manifold vacuum, so it does not need a vacuum hose.

·
Registered
94 Cadillac Eldorado
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I figured as the cover was held on by quite a few screws. However I saw no gasket underneath that upper manifold. I did however start the car with the cover off which was the only way to figure out that the FPR was bad. But it was only for a second. The MAP sensor is also destroyed. The top of its casing was loose and the jelly like stuff inside of it was all broken up from the fuel and everything.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,543 Posts
That's what I figured as the cover was held on by quite a few screws. However I saw no gasket underneath that upper manifold. I did however start the car with the cover off which was the only way to figure out that the FPR was bad. But it was only for a second. The MAP sensor is also destroyed. The top of its casing was loose and the jelly like stuff inside of it was all broken up from the fuel and everything.
You simply turn the key ON to energize the fuel pump and look for a leak at the FPR nipple. Starting the car with that cover off will cause the engine to run away unthrottled and bounce of the rev limiter. :tisk:

·
Registered
94 Cadillac Eldorado
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help! If it wasn't raining, I'd go change this now. I'm anxious to get it running again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts