Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i am changeing my radio in my 94 eldo what i have to ask is i have to run a antenna wire from the brain in the back to the new radio no can i just wire the speakers and power in like i would on any outher radio or do i have to run new speaker wires and bypass that brain in the trunk ??

·
Registered
10 Posts
You'll need to run new wires for everything, including coming up with a way to hook your power antenna mechanism to the new radio that you install in the dash. You might consider a wire from another older GM car that doesn't use the two piece factory radio. Look for a car with a rear mounted antenna in order to get the wire length you need to make it from the rear fender to the dash.

The factory unit in your dash is nothing but a control head for the unit in your trunk. The existing wires between the dash and trunk do not include speaker or antenna wires. The car's speaker and antenna wires ALL go to the unit in the trunk.

You can replace the radio, but it involves unhooking the unit in the trunk from it's various wires, and removing it from the car. It's useless dead weight without the control head.

My suggestion would be to remove the two units, and store them so that later they could be reinstalled if you sell the car, or sold as a set to someone who wants them. I would not cut the factory wires, but just move them aside, and run all new wires from your new radio to the existing speakers, and look for power at the fuse block for your new radio.

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
Another option for the speakers involves using a seperate amp located in the trunk for the speakers. This method is more money, but it is much simpler, as you can use the stock wiring.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was thinking i will rewire all the speakers to the new radion and as far as the antenna goes it has a postive lead to it and a ground all i would have to do is hook it up to the remote wire to sent the current to let it know the radio is on to go up witch i have to run a remote for the amp dose this sound like it will work ??

·
Registered
10 Posts
As far as the wires on the antenna for power to other items; bad idea. Those wires are dependent on an antenna relay that controls the power ON those wires in order to raise and lower the antenna. That power availability can change as the relay switches and/or fails due to overcurrent. After all, that relay was not meant to carry any more current than the one antenna motor. Run new wires. It is more simple, and will be more consistent power to your other items.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts