Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to look at a 1994 eldorado either today or tomorrow. It has 117k miles and supposedly everything is in good shape except it needs a new battery.

Can I just go to napa or advance or w/e and buy a battery? or do you need a certain "kind" ? is it worth the extra money to buy one of those expensive ones, I forget what they're called, they have a red top...

Is there anything specifically that I should look for as far as finding problems with the car? I was thinking about taking it to the nearest Cadillac dealership, GM has advertisements for their "car care package" for 39.95 which includes a 27 pt inspection, do you think if I brought the car there they would look it over and make a decent determination of it's integrity? or is this 27 pt inspection thing a total joke.

thanks!

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
For me, the battery doesn't matter as long as it fits and puts out 750cca or more. Any less and your alternator will be frying itself trying to charge a battery that's already full.

The first thing you should do is pull the codes, but I'm guessing that since it has a dead battery all of the codes will be erased from memory. It needs to be driven a while to regain whatever codes may be hiding in there.

When you go in for an inspection like that, the shop/dealer/whatever assumes you have money to pay to fix what they say is wrong. I don't like that. Of course they are going to give you a massive list of things that are bad/going bad, because they want you to pay them to fix it. My advise is to find a reputable shop and go in for an oil change. They check all the same things, they are more honest about it, plus you actually get something done on the car rather than just having someone poking and prodding around underneath it.

An oil change for a good shop is a very important job done by a fairly experienced technician (not including jiffy lube and places like that). Shops get most of their work from spotting problems or potential problems on oil changes.

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How can I find a reputable local shop? So you mean a non-dealership type shop, right? My concern is that I have not had a car since I moved to NY so I really don't have a clue which places are sharks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts