Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 94 Eldo that I bought new. It has been a great car. Recently it has intermittently not started. Sometimes, when it will not start, it will give a security message telling you to wait for 2 minutes and try again. It will then start. It fails with 2 different ignition keys, so I don't think it is the key. The ignition switch? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
thruprop said:
I have 94 Eldo that I bought new. It has been a great car. Recently it has intermittently not started. Sometimes, when it will not start, it will give a security message telling you to wait for 2 minutes and try again. It will then start. It fails with 2 different ignition keys, so I don't think it is the key. The ignition switch? Any help is appreciated.
Run the diagnostic codes to see what you get. That will give you some ideas

·
Registered
520 Posts
thruprop said:
I had that problem once with my Eldorado, but a few times with a Grand Prix I had. The Cadillac was because the key was wet from my hand. The GP was because of a piece of pocket lint that got into the ignition cylinder when I put in the key. How about getting a can of computer cleaner compressed air and blowing out the cylinder?
I don't see how it could hurt.

·
Registered
37 Posts
thruprop said:

I had the same problem with my Deville. I had to get my ingition tumbuler replaced and a new key cut.

This happens alot with GM cars with a chip in the key. In order for your car to start the ECU must read your chip in your key in the ignition. Your ingnition tumbuler has a wire that runs from it to....I guess the ECU. Well, the wire allows the ECU to read the chip. The problem is that this wire gets worn and often breaks from normal wear, or sometimes develops a tear in it and suffers a slow death. Well this is what happened to mine. My car was giving problems starting for about 3 months until it completely broke.

At first my mechanic could not figure out what was it. He thought it was the security system and tried to bypass the alarm. Well the car would start then cut back off. This is because it was not reading the chip in the ingnition. So the tumbuler was replaced, no problems since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts