Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home from a 5 day (1500mile roundtrip) drive to Idaho & Montana.

94 DeVille Mary Kay (now its a "Hairy & Gray) pink Basic Deville - probably no speed sensing suspension - just the rear air suspension.

3 adults in the car, with our gear - the ride was fine - headlights level.

On the way home - we had an extra 250 lbs. The rear rode low - headlights aimed high, and on sharp bumps (bridges and ramps) the rear suspensio would bottom out.

In the summer, I would hear the compressor run for only a few seconds when starting the car. It is colder here now - and I do not hear the compressor kick in. WHen we loaded the car in Idaho - it was 34f - above freezing - and the compressor was not heard.

What checks are possible to determine the status of the air suspension?

Also - arre there any "helper" coils (coil over shock, etc.) to add some load capacity to the rear?

Thanks in advance

Pink Panther

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: 94 DeVille - rides fine with 3 up - load the trunk with 250 lbs - arse rides low....

If this is a high milage car like my '92 was when the shocks began to fail, then the shocks are just beginning to wear out and when fully loaded they don't have enough dampning and the air just gets pounded out of them. When the car is lightly loaded they work fine. I just replaced my rear shocks with aftermarket ones from Auto Zone, about $45 each, and the problem was solved. You will need a rear alignment as well but you might also think about 4 new struts and shocks and a 4 wheel alignment at the same time. It makes your car ride like new again.

Merry Christmas,

JimR

1 - 3 of 3 Posts