Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
94 Cadillac Deville
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install some new door speakers but I am not sure how to get the panels off and I had good luck with finding out how to get the door panels off my 92 on here so I figured I would give it a go. I did a bit of searching and did find I believe 2 topics on this subject but 1 of the topics was odd lol and the other was how to remove the back door panel and I am not sure it would be the same?? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1995 Sedan Deville Spring Edition
268 Posts
Ok,

1. Remove small plastic tapered end caps from either end of pull handle (above lock button and door opener handle). This will expose two large phillips head screws you will also need to remove. Be careful removing these end caps, they are thin plastic, and with age (now 12+ years old) they break even easier. Use a small (#1) standard screwdriver or similar.

You pry from the end on the angled part of the pull handle, there are two little "ears" that slide into the door trim, so be careful not to break these off.

2. Remove square plastic insert behind chrome door opener handle. This needs to come out to allow this handle to pop through the door panel on removal.

3. Remove window switch control panel from door trim panel. Use a thin flat bladed tool inserted at about a 45 degree angle in towards the switch panel module. There is a spring clip at both ends that needs to be released to get this out of the armrest opening.

4. Remove wiring harnesses from window switch module - be careful, they have retaining clips that can be broken rather easily if you get too ham-fisted about doing this.

5. Pry small triangular plastic trim piece away from metal part of door (just behind the A-pillar, this covers the side view mirror mounting bolts) carefully. This is put on with press-fit plastic fasteners. The door panel cannot be removed until this piece is free. A small putty knife or such is helpful here. Just don't scratch up the painted part of the door.

6. Lift up on the door panel from the bottom edge. There are "hooks" (like inverted an "J" shape) that hook in and slide down into slots in the sheet metal. DO NOT pull straight out or pry outward on the bottom edge of the trim panel, you will break the hooks and ruin the panel. Only lift UP about 1.5 or 2 inches, then the panel will fall away from the door. Be careful here as the factory tweeter is mounted to the door trim panel and you will need to unhook this small harness before the panel can be pulled completely away and set aside. Also watch out for the wiring for the "theater light" that illuminates the window/seat controls at night. This is a small harness that also needs to be disconnected.

Now, the woofer is mounted into the door panel, and can be replaced with a like-sized driver, or with a coaxial/triaxial setup if you don't want to reuse the factory tweeter. Just make sure it fits flush behind the trim. Many aftermarket speakers stick out too far too work in this application. I bought a set of Infinity two-ways for mine (can't remember model number off hand) that worked out great.

May I also recommend an "XTC" baffle, it's a foam insert that goes in behind the speaker and helps prevent moisture from getting to the rear of the speaker.

Hope this helps.

KDirk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts