Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Deville Concours
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My apologies for the most non-descript title, but I have a few questions that have little to do with each other.

The story--my girlfriend has grown a shared and, of course, wise taste for Cadillacs, and she just bought the 94 Deville. It had been sitting around a few years (not without ever being started, but pretty much sitting), so there are the nitpicky issues about, some of which I would like some other opinions on.

First off--The idle speed control motor was shot, and has been replaced (what a shock there :cool:), and the car tends to creep intermittently without the pedal being pressed. I've lubed the throttle body spring and pedal w/ PB Blaster to ensure it's not a physical sticking. My obviuos suspect here is the TPS, and I'm not sure how to get the reading of the TPS and calibrate it as is done on previous models. I know to retract the ISC and rotate the TPS to within .2 etc... and all, but I just don't know how to read the TPS with this instrument cluster. If someone could tell me that, it would be a big help (I am thus far service manual-less).

Issue 2 here...not a big deal, but a curiosity for sure. When we got the car, it said 12 gallons and it had been driven down to 5...I filled it up this morning, and upon getting in the car, it was flashing "E" and said "fuel level very low." After driving it, and going up a hill, it started to slowly rise to around 5 again...then later it went back down to E (but not flashing). After going up a steep hill, it managed to slowly get back up to F, as if that jarred something. Is this just possible corrossion where the float moves from sitting perhaps? The only thing that made me suspect the fuel sender unit was the fact that it went back down at that one point with a full tank. However, there are no other apparent fuel delivery issues or odd readings.

Another thing I'd like to know is how to safely remove the instrument panel and such. The light bulb behind the shifting display (P R N D..etc...) is out, and I don't want to yank on it and break it. Do these things pop out, or is there some particular method? I find this guessing game is a frequent one with these cars...:rolleyes:

One last thing...that I always seem to forget... Do you use RTV on the transmission pan gasket? I'm going to do the fluid and filter and that's a mistake that would end with me swearing.

EDIT: Oh yeah...there are no important codes. I have one that says loss of suspension data, which I think is non-OEM shocks, and one that's low refrigerant pressure history, because I replaced a line and charged it.

·
Registered
1996 Deville Concours
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I did figure out the TPS issue by searching a little more thoroughly... If anyone else is ever interested, after PCM?, press UP on the fan speed to select PCM, then PCM Data, and the first one (P01) is the TPS output. PCM Overrides and cooler on PD03 will retract the ISC so it can be properly set.

With the TPS calibrated (it was off--reading .2 at warm idle instead of minimum idle), the "driving itself" syndrome has improved, but is still there. Previously, I had an intermittent MAP code, and it hasn't set again, but I'm getting a new MAP anyway because the idle surges a little sometimes, and I have a feeling it may be reading "crappy," just not out of range. Other suggestions are welcome of course.

The instrument panel I'll probably get eventually. I wish they would just use screws...:helpless:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts