Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
This has been going on for years. First I was told it was the alternator, so I replaced it. Then I was told it was the battery, but no cure. Once the car is warm, it is hard to start. I uploaded a youtube video that shows it in action, or inaction.

Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
When I worked in an auto shop, many years ago, we'd check the connections and then run a current draw check on the starter.
You've covered the other major problems.

·
Registered
97 DeVille
172 Posts
The alternator isn't really involved with starting the car, either when it's warm or cold. If it's not working, your battery doesn't get charged up, so the next time you start it [either hot or cold], it may not have enough power to start the car.

And the battery also doesn't really care if the engine is hot or cold, it either has enough power to start the car, or it doesn't [as in, waiting until the engine is cold doesn't magically charge the battery any amount].

Something else is the cause of this problem.

·
Registered
85 Coupe Deville 4.1 V8 & 4.3 V6 Deisel & 1970 Eldorado
773 Posts
Hello

I went through the same thing that you are going through now. I replaced everything in the starting system. Several new batteries, All new heavy duty battery cables and ground straps, 4 new starters and still had the same problem only worse. I finally replaced the engine with a new crate engine as the original one in the car was tired (Coolant intrusion from bad intake manifold gaskets). The crankshaft had rusty journals and the distributor drive gear completely was worn down to the point the distributor did not turn. (The reason the car was sold) Even with all of that once fixed the engine ran great The only problem was hot starts. This is a low compression engine and should not have these problems.The new engine had exactly the same starting problems. I suspected the issues where with the poor quality of rebuilt starters available today.
I finally switched to an Allante gear reduction starter and all of my troubles went away. No more starting woes. It now starts instantly whether it is hot or cold. It spins almost twice as fast as it did with the standard starter. I had a 4.1 in my 85 Coupe Deville but i suspect the Allante starter would fit your 94 4.9.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,315 Posts
That video sounds a lot like ignition timing. Have you been messing with the distributor?
I'd check the timing and make sure it is set to factory spec's.

·
Registered
85 Coupe Deville 4.1 V8 & 4.3 V6 Deisel & 1970 Eldorado
773 Posts
I also thought that it was ignition timing and that is a good place to start. In my case though it would do it even if i ran the timing 10 deg retarded.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
18,909 Posts
So check timing and then the starter?
============================
you can check ignition timing -
but I doubt that's the problem -

do a load-test on the battery -

then do a current-draw test on the starter -
should be constant - and not more than 120 amps -

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Weak battery, bad starter and loose or corroded cables are the main cause of that kind of starting problem. If the battery is good and fully charged move on to checking the cables. Then either check the starter like basscatt mentione or bring it to a shop that can do that. For the cost of a new starter if everything else checks out just replace it, and least you'll have ruled it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello

I went through the same thing that you are going through now. I replaced everything in the starting system. Several new batteries, All new heavy duty battery cables and ground straps, 4 new starters and still had the same problem only worse. I finally replaced the engine with a new crate engine as the original one in the car was tired (Coolant intrusion from bad intake manifold gaskets). The crankshaft had rusty journals and the distributor drive gear completely was worn down to the point the distributor did not turn. (The reason the car was sold) Even with all of that once fixed the engine ran great The only problem was hot starts. This is a low compression engine and should not have these problems.The new engine had exactly the same starting problems. I suspected the issues where with the poor quality of rebuilt starters available today.
I finally switched to an Allante gear reduction starter and all of my troubles went away. No more starting woes. It now starts instantly whether it is hot or cold. It spins almost twice as fast as it did with the standard starter. I had a 4.1 in my 85 Coupe Deville but i suspect the Allante starter would fit your 94 4.9.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,315 Posts
I doubt you'll get an answer. Aeronca hasn't checked in since Aug. 2015.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts