Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we are home in Alberta - back from a 2 week - 5000 mile trip to Vegas and Back...

The Mary Kay 94 DeVille only had a couple of problems.

One - the digital readout dash - fuel gauge LIED!!!

90 miles east of Las Vegas, at Mesquite, the guage read that we had sufficient fuel for 135 miles of driving - being only 90 miles from Vegas - what teh Heck.

70 miles later - the digital readout dropped instantly from "4 gals remaining" to reading "E", and about 4 miles later we were stranded on the side of I-15....

1 1/2 hours later, AAA was faithful and we had fuel in the tank....

The second problem - we were fortunate....

1/4 mile from where we were staying, the serpentine belt came off, we lost power steering, and the "Battery not charging" readout flashed.

One of the idler bearings, for the serpentine belt, had siezed, and the idler had disintegrated. Fortunately nothing else was amiss.

$12.50 per idler, and a $29.00 serpentine belt - and I put it all together (fortunately I had my own tools).

2 months ago, when I bought the car, I noticed the sound like a supercharger - someone on this board said it was not a big deal. I should have looked furhter into it before the trip. As it was - it turned out Ok - but if the idler had siezed up in the middle of Utah - miles from anywhere - it would have been worse.... The idlers and belt were easy to replace.

The Pink Panther (Mary Kay Special) , loaded down with 2 full size teens and two parents (full size+), and a full trunk -o - junk, delivered an average 22.9 mpg (US gal) with the cruise set at 75 - 85 mph interstate speeds . The highway was dry and bare all the way heading south.
The return trip saw snow and ice from south of Salt Lake City of the the the Montana border, and temperatures had plunged to the low to mid teens (farenheight). We only averaged 20.5 mpg on the northbound leg of the trip, and were averaging a much lower speed due to icey roads (Idaho I-15 was glare ice - no salt, sand, or gravel to be had for over 100 miles!!)

QUESTION: Has anyone noticed cold weather affecting mpg averages because of cold weather??

I changed the oil before we left - and over the whole trip, I added one quart of oil...

So I must say that my first experience buying a Cadillac has been favourable - but now I am looking for a plusher model (Concourse, etc.). .....spoiled already.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Glad that you finally came back home. I saw the other thread
by you. Hope you enjoyed Las Vegas though.

Well, I do notice that MPG is lesser in winter. But I am not sure
if it is because I had to warm the car up for longer.

What I think is that probably the engine doesn't experience over
cooling as long as the thermostat works. But the transmission
fluid cooler (I don't know which cooling core is the one for the
transmission fluid) might get overcooled, increasing friction in the
transmission. It's just my guess and I honestly don't know.

Does anybody know for sure??

·
Registered
116 Posts
It is winter where I live right now and my MPG has gone down some. Its not to noticeable until it gets extremely cold. The other day it was about -3 F and the caddy started but I definately noticed the lower MPG. Usually when I go about 35 MPH and completely let off the gas, the MPG indicator goes to 70 MPG because I'm just coasting. But when its really cold out it only goes to like 45 - 55 MPG when I let off of the gas at 35 MPH. I think it mostly has to do with all the fluids being extremely thick at this low temperature. (I use 10W30 dino) Also don't forget that tire pressure goes down a couple PSI when its really cold.

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
yes tire psi does fall a little when its colder and fluids are thicker , but a big reasonf or lower mpg is the cold weather stratgey in the computer , the computer runs the engine at a richer fuel/air mix to keep it warm , efi engines run wicked rich for the first 2 mintues of a very cold startup and then starts trying to lean back out . in alaska i got really bad milage dureing the winter , almost half of the milage i would egt in the summer , of coarse thats -60 degrees with a car that had a 2 litre all alumium engine , which is really hard to keep any kind of temperature in without blocking the raditator off

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes sense - as far as the computer /fuel mixture goes...
I had monitored my tire pressure carefully throughout the trip - so that was not a significant factor. That does bode well for summer travel (I have owned this car for only 2 months now)

Thanks

Gord

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Both
The idler on the Tensioner was the one that tore apart.
The idler bolted to the solid mount was noisy - so I replaced them both. One mechanic told me that I should replace the entire tensioner because the spring can fail unexpectedly. I decided this was over-kill.
In fact I had the new one on, then got to thinking - the tensioner/idler combo is $65 USD more than the idler alone. Why not just replace the idlers - the car has only 80k miles...
Idlers were about $18 each - I got a lower wholesale price of $12.50 (USD).

If the idlers are noisy - sounding like a supercharger - spend the $60 or so for the belt and idlers.

Could save you from being stranded in the toolies..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the note - overall we enjoyed Vegas - visiting with family and friends (new) was great.

Both my wife and I We toured the strip - if we never see the strip again - so what???
But it is a do it once kind of thing...

Visiting Hoover Dam was GREAT...
Definitely supreme example of US engineering...

Thanks

Gord

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Hey that sounds like a cool mod... fake people out and make them think your car is supercharged...so thats how you beat them at street racing! *runs off screaming and flailing arms around*

·
Registered
53 Posts
Your fuel guage might be lying to you because the fuel pump is on its way out. My Deville did the same thing--gave a mis read, then ran out of gas--to my wife about 2 weeks before the fuel pump went out entirely. As the replacement pump is $300, you may not want to replace it blindly, but dropping the tank and having the fuel pump's flow tested is what I would recommend. As you know, Alberta in winter is no place to be stranded by the side of the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
rainingzigzags