Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Concours Ninety-Special
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,

So my buddy has a 94 Concours Ninety-Special that he bought for pretty cheap because it was having issues. I looked under the hood, and could see the compressor clutch wobbling and sparking, which seems to be a common issue with this vehicle. His dad bought him a 4 seasons compressor for it for Christmas, and we are trying to install it.

According to the Haynes book, the oil filter has to come off. I have done this. When I'm under her looking up, I can see the bolt on the back of the compressor that has to come out (for the refrigerant lines), but I cannot get a wrench on it. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the radiator/fan assembly has to come out. I looked at it, and it does look like I can get to that bolt from there, but I was checking before I did that. His dad is an HVAC guy and discharged it for us.

Also, as with another post, you really got to stand on the brakes, because she's trying to run away. I'm a bit scared to post codes ATM, because a rat has chewed the wiring harness in half that runs along the firewall, by the coils, and it's barely running now. Is it possible for me to splice some wires in where they have been chewed up? I know with certain electronics changing the wires will mess things up (different amplitudes?) but these are twisted, not single strand so I don't think that comes into play? I'd sure hate to have to replace the whole harness, but I will if that's what it takes.

Thanks a ton for reading this long post,
Noah

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
:welcome:

No such thing as a "Ninety special", I assume there's some kind of after market trim package on the car (roof treatment/emblems/chrome/grille/rims)?

I can't help you with the compressor removal, other than to say that the Haynes and Chiltons repair manuals are better used to soak up spilled oil, or line a bird cage. You really need a "real" Helm FSM to work on these cars. Another member will probably chime in.

Ideally, replacing the harness is the solution to the damaged wiring. What components are these wires going to?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome, and reply.

It must be an after-market deal or something. It for sure says Nintey-Special behind the rear door, on the top.
In the loop of the S it says "By E&G" (I just googled this, it's aftermarket trim kit).

I think the wiring harness is going to something with the stability control. I'm getting a speed-sensitive steering fault, and right-rear position sensor fault, which I was not getting before that happened. The car starts, but barely runs after the wiring harness was chewed on (I'm assuming some kind of default mode.) It intermittently ran perfect before, occasionally getting high rpms and stuttering, then would run fine. I'll go pull the codes again, I can't seem to find the paper I wrote them on, but if I recall I was only getting lost memory (from d/c battery) and other minor issues, plus the new ones I'm getting now. But they are all about the stability system it seems.

I'm trying to get the known issues stamped out before even trying to guess about anything else. Do you know how hard it is to replace the entire harness? This is like an off-shoot of the entire harness, but it meets up into a bigger bundle, so it's looking like everything will have to be replaced if I go that route.

EDIT: I just touched one of the vacuum hoses, and it was rotted. So I'm assuming this is going to have something to do with why it wasn't running quite right before, and will be replacing the hoses in the process.

Also after looking at the picture here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...-2005-including-1985/230068-c-compressor.html

It's looking like the radiator has to come out. Even though it's a slightly different vehicle, I can see quite well from that angle, if only the radiator was out. I guess I'm gonna go get started on that now, but would still love some advice from anyone on the subject. Thanks :D

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
If the whole engine compartment harness had to be replaced, it would be a pretty tedious job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I thought :(

All the harnesses appear to run together into one big bundle, then through the firewall. So I'm guessing that would be the case. I'm gonna try splicing in new wires once I get the compressor on, and go from there if it doesn't work. Although, that's kind of scary since if it's still having problems I won't know if it's my splices :(

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,124 Posts
That's what I thought :(

All the harnesses appear to run together into one big bundle, then through the firewall. So I'm guessing that would be the case. I'm gonna try splicing in new wires once I get the compressor on, and go from there if it doesn't work. Although, that's kind of scary since if it's still having problems I won't know if it's my splices :(
-------------------------
get some good quality - small diameter electronics-grade ROSIN-CORE solder -
a small can of soldering flux with a little brush - a good soldering gun -
and some heat-shrink tubing -

solder in a new hunk of wire - and put heat-shrink tubing over the connections -
it is a permanent repair if done correctly -

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, thanks for the info. I never soldered wires together before, but it makes perfect sense! I'll be getting on that very soon. Thanks for all of the help everyone. :D

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,124 Posts
Hey, thanks for the info. I never soldered wires together before, but it makes perfect sense! I'll be getting on that very soon. Thanks for all of the help everyone. :D
-----------------------
I never soldered wires together before
FLUX is the secrete -

slip on the heat-shrink tubing - then make the splice -
coat the twisted wires with flux before applying heat then solder -

heat the connection - the flux cleans the copper wire -
and attracts the molten solder into the connection -

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
In high vibration/movement areas, butt connectors are a better method than solder joints. The stiff joints can develop cracks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts