Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
low oil pressure - stop engine is comming up on my 94 concours. We changed the oil and the oil pressure switch (not OEM) and it keeps doing it. Is there any way to hook up a tempry or external oil pressure gage to see if it really is low??
Everytime there is something wrong with this car we do the big fix and it ends up being something simple. And I don't want to go changing out the oil pump if I don't really have to.
Background: Leaks oil so I'm always adding- never gets more than a quart or so low. Thanks'

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
I believe there is a fitting by the oil filter adapter to put a guage on to check it but first I would replace that switch with an OEM switch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We put an ac delco sensor in and same response low pressure stop engine.
Is the acdelco low pressure sensor an oem part?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I ahve a problem to with my 96 deville but its really odd the oil light flicks on for about 1/4 of a second when the car has been running for more than an hour and if im stopped at a light with the brake on.

it only flicks on once and i only see it about 2 times a week if at all

the car idles at about 600 rpm is this possibly too low? Im thinking of raising the idle maybe this could be the cause?

I also noticed that after it snowed over here is when i had it come on I think it may have gotten wet.

Let me konw if anyone has an opinion on what to do I ordered an OEM sensor just in case the sensor is failing.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
My '97 Deville used to idle at 650, so your 600 does not sound too low. Replacing the oil pressure switch might do the trick.

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
ocjmakaveli said:
I ahve a problem to with my 96 deville but its really odd the oil light flicks on for about 1/4 of a second when the car has been running for more than an hour and if im stopped at a light with the brake on.

it only flicks on once and i only see it about 2 times a week if at all

the car idles at about 600 rpm is this possibly too low? Im thinking of raising the idle maybe this could be the cause?

I also noticed that after it snowed over here is when i had it come on I think it may have gotten wet.

Let me konw if anyone has an opinion on what to do I ordered an OEM sensor just in case the sensor is failing.
You might want to clean the throttle body and idle air control valve. That will help with idle problems many times.

An OEM oil pressure sensor is a good idea. AC-Delco makes them. I wouldn't buy another brand because they have never been tested with the Northstar. If you still have issues, there are other possibilities like crappy oil filters (Frams), loose harmonic balancer bolts, low oil level not detected because of a faulty oil level sensor, low idle (sound familiar?), and clogged oil passages. I think the low idle is going to solve your problem. An expert who used to frequent these forums suggested using Rotella 15W-40 oil at the next oil change because a slightly thicker oil will help keep the pressure higher if the idle speed doesn't solve the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts