Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally my '94 Northstar engine starts immediately when the ignition key is turned on. However, sometimes when the ignition key is turned
to start the engine, nothing happens! All the dashboard lights, radio,
power windows, headlights work. It seems that no electrical contact
is occuring between the ignition switch and the engine starter. When
this problem first started about 6 months ago, I would continue turning
the ignition key until the engine started. Usually within 5 to 10 minutes
the engine would start. Now it is taking up to 30 to 40 minutes before
the ignition key engages the starter to start the engine. I never know
when this problem will occur. Sometimes it occurs every 2 or 3 days, and
sometimes only once a week. I think the problem is electrical, but to
what extent. There are usually numerous successful engine startings
between these occurences when the engine will not start. Can anybody
explain what might be happening, and what can be done to correct
this problem?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hello,

I have just been screwing around with the ignition on a 97. There are possibly a few things going wrong. Does the 94 have a VATs system - that is, a resistor pellet in the key? If so, it may be that the contacts in the ignition lock cylinder are not making good contact. This should cause some sort of warning to appear on the DIC however.

Otherwise it may be that the ignition switch is faulty, or there is also another relay used to engage the starter.

It would be prudent to acquire some schematics for the 94 ignition circuitry and then work your way from the ignition to the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
I Would Invest In Another Ignition Key. Probably A Vats Related Problem. Not An Expensive Thing To Try First.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi!...I noticed your message is a year old. Did you ever get the problem taken care of? I have the identical problem on a '94 Eldorado. So far I have replaced the starter. The underside button on the shifter is broken but it is taped up in such a way that it is OK. Now they want to replace the shifter handle. I tried the key-thany but that is OK. Thanks!...Del, email [email protected].

·
Registered
1996 deville
67 Posts
Re: 95 Cadillac Seville ignition /starter problem?

well after checking all fuses,grounds,ect i just happend to give a thump on the panel in the trunk at the back seat and to my surprize the car started right up.im thinking its realated to the security system box,but i have no codes present.there are three or four black boxes back there and a few relays,anyone know what these are and if they could have a efeect on a no crank problem?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 97 Deville and am having the same problem. I went to Radio Shack and bought a can of contact cleaner and have used that. I don't know if it actualy helped yet but have fingers crossed. Did you ever fix yours?

·
Registered
2003 Seville SLS
2 Posts
I have a 2003 Seville with the same problem as the original post. Car intermittently will not start, seems like the ignition switch doesnt work. I wait 5 seconds and it usually works first or secon try. Has anyone found the cause?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,470 Posts
:rolleyes: Not bad for a 5 year old thread - at least you did your homework........

2000+ Sevilles had a run of dash panel mounted ignition switches which went bad. You can replace the switch only - no need for a new lock cylinder or keys.

Look in General Discussion, Tech Tips. The switch change and its pitfalls have been the subject of quite a few posts.

(You'll get more response from the 2000+ crowd if you start a new thread in Seville/Eldorado, or even in here with a proper car & date in the thread name.)

·
Registered
2001 Seville SLS
444 Posts
I had something like that problem, but in my case there were additional symptoms with the door locks. It turned out to be a intermittant short between the fuse box and rear integration module (RIM). A little oxidation on the legs to the IGN SW fuse in the underseat fuse box caused the problem. I couldn't really see the oxidation, but knew it was there because barely touching the fuse made electrical noise and fixed the problem. Power goes thru multiple fuses and relays before your car will start so it could be another fuse or connection causing the problem. You will probably find it by wiggling connectors and fuses in both fuse blocks.

·
Registered
2003 Seville SLS
2 Posts
Thanks. It failed more frequently so I was able to check some connections while the instrument warning lights were going haywire. I pulled the rear seat and removed some relays, fuses. Swapped a couple relays. So far it has not come back. I might take another look now for corrosion you mentioned.
THANKS!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts