Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Deville
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I helped a friend install standard gas filled shocks on the rear of his 1994 DeVille. This weekend I 'll be putting the resistors in to fool the air-ride system, but what to do about the compressor?

Don't want to have it running all the time, but don't want a dash light either.

Can it simply be unplugged, or the fuse pulled without presenting a code/light?

My own '04 a/c worked great after basic service, but after a couple of weeks it began to blow warm air again. I played with all the buttons on the dash in no particular order, and it worked good again. I had to do this a number of times in order to get cold air out of it.

This hit or miss technique worked for a couple of weeks, but now nothing I do can get cold air out of it.

As usual, thanks for your time and advice.....you've all been great!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
I believe either will work.

My own '04 a/c worked great after basic service, but after a couple of weeks it began to blow warm air again. I played with all the buttons on the dash in no particular order, and it worked good again. I had to do this a number of times in order to get cold air out of it.

This hit or miss technique worked for a couple of weeks, but now nothing I do can get cold air out of it.
Is the compressor running? The PCM will disable the compressor to prevent internal damage when low refrigerant is sensed. Low refrigerant will also set a DTC, as will an air mix actuator which could also be a problem.
Check the DTC's and both the high and low side refrigerant pressures.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,449 Posts
The car does not have 'air ride'. The proper shock replacements have auxiliary air bladders which, with a compressor system, regulates rear ride height in response to weight changes in the trunk or rear seat. Without the proper shocks/ELC system functional the rear of the car will sag and drag with anyone in the rear seat or with stuff in the trunk. Do it right.

If the car does not have active suspension (RSS or CVRSS) then there are no resistor tricks to be done. The shocks thenselves would not be monitored for height - only the height sensor(s) in the wheelwells and the compressor/control head system are monitored. No electrical connectors on the shocks = no active suspension = no resistors.

·
Registered
2003 deville
604 Posts
Hopefully you at least got load lifter (overload springs on the shocks) or don't normally carry people or much weight. Air assist shocks are not very expensive and you could get a manual fill line for them if your worried about lines, compressor etc...

·
Registered
2004 Deville
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response guys.

As far as the shocks, if anything, the car sits a "little" high, so I'm not too concerned about it bottoming out. The new owner (my buddy sold it to his ex-wife) travels alone, and not far, so I think it's going to work out. The shock choice was his, because he promised her he'd replace them, but he didn't want to get up off too much cash.

In more EXCITING news, I was hovering over my running Northstar this afternoon, dismayed at the lack of cold air once again. In an attempt to try ANYTHING to get a response, I began to push in and wiggle relays in the fuse box under the hood. I had only touched 3, when to my pleasant surprise the compressor clicked in.........ICE COLD AIR!! Too bad I wasn't taking my time or paying attention to which one did the trick, but I'm thinking it was #36. The other two were 35 and 33. None of these (according to the location chart) are directly responsible for A/C function (2 say START and 1 says ACC.), but I'll take what I can get. When it happens again, I'll be more vigilant.
I was thinking that once I identified the correct relay, I would check its prongs and socket, and place some dielectric grease sparingly on the prongs....thinking that contact might carry through the grease if the relay got dislodged in the future. Thoughts on this?

Thanks again for your help and support!!
Frank

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
Hi All!

I helped a friend install standard gas filled shocks on the rear of his 1994 DeVille. This weekend I 'll be putting the resistors in to fool the air-ride system, but what to do about the compressor?

Don't want to have it running all the time, but don't want a dash light either.

As usual, thanks for your time and advice.....you've all been great!
========================
there is so much wrong - where to start -

I helped a friend install standard gas filled shocks on the rear of his 1994 DeVille
BIG - BIG - BIG - MISTAKE -
that car is going to sag - and bottom out -
if ANY load in put in the back seat or trunk -
probably even without any additional weight -

it NEEDS the correct shocks -
Monroe 40046 -
yes they are somewhat expensive - around $100 each -

-------------------

This weekend I 'll be putting the resistors in to fool the air-ride system,
FIRST - this car does NOT have "air-ride" -
it has - or DID have ELC - Electronic Level Control -
consisting of a ride-height switch - air compressor -
and special rear shocks with built-in air bladders -
which can be inflated to maintain proper ride-height -
regardless of loads in the back seat and/or trunk -

SECOND - the "resistor trick" will NOT work -
the '94 has Speed/Road Sensing Suspension -

it requires a new relay to be installed -in the trunk -
to eliminate the suspension error message -

----------------

if you/he insists on eliminating the ELC system -
yes - you can simply pull the ELC/compressor fuse -

·
Registered
2004 Deville
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let's be clear. The shock choice was NOT my decision. I tried, but you can't teach an old blockhead new sense.
In any case, can you provide more info on this new relay that he will need to clear the dash light?
Thanks

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
Let's be clear. The shock choice was NOT my decision. I tried, but you can't teach an old blockhead new sense.
In any case, can you provide more info on this new relay that he will need to clear the dash light?
Thanks
==========================
I'm not at my regular computer -
so I don't have any of my short-cuts available -

should be in the TechTips forum -
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips-how-fix/

or possibly in the suspension forum -
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/suspension-brakes-tires/

or search for "Deville speed sensitive suspension relay trick"

·
Registered
2004 Deville
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well Fella's
(1994 DeVille)
I found some clear instructions on installing the relay to quell the "service ride control" light, but have a bit of a problem. In this bundle of wires, there is NO solid BROWN wire, which is supposed to be the switched hot, by reasonable deduction from the instructions.
The closest I can get to brown is PURPLE, with a white stripe.
There are 2 VERY LIGHT tan wires in the bunch, maybe a shade or two apart in color. Could one of these be someone's BROWN?
Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts