Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this:

" Q: My Impala ran out of gas the other day, and the gauge still said I had some and the low fuel light wasn't on. What's up?

First, it's not a good idea to run the gas tank too low (into the red). The fuel pump in most modern cars is cooled by the gasoline in the tank, and if it is not submersed, it will overheat and burn out. You can still have gas left and uncover the pump due to fuel sloshing.
TSB 67-65-19 describes a condition where the vehicle stalls or runs out of fuel while gauge shows fuel remaining. The fix is to repair or replace fresh air hose/canister and bracket. The fuel vapor canister fresh air system may be restricted. Basically, if there is a kink in the fresh air hose to the purge canister or if the canister itself is plugged, you'll draw a vacuum on the gas tank and fuel won't be able to flow. It's kinda like trying to pour gas out of your gas can without opening the little vent. This applies to 94 and 95 Impalas only."

And want to look up and check this out (I ran out of gas recently...)

Anyone know where to look?

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Inside the R/F fender. The hose was sometimes kinked during production so I'm guessing that after all these years it's doubtful that it's your problem. I usuallly found it easy to check the hose by reaching into the fender over by the battery. The kink was usually right there where you could get to it.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was at 2 bars left on the gauge, so I knew I was low, no LOW light (never seen it on yet except at startup light test). They guy I bought the car from said he ran out once and opened the gas cap and was fine. It didn't work for me that night, but I do have a LOT of pressure in the tank, especially when it gets low. Seems positive pressure, but it is hard to say. I'll have to get some yarn or something to test it with and see which way it goes.

Wonder how much that affects power with the tank pressure being off like that? Wouldn't that affect fuel injector pressure? Or will the regulator overcome it?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If that problem occurs it will suck the fuel tank flat almost.
I have seen a few of those. Usually that problem is aggrevated by installing a ventless fuel cap.
The vapor canister on an old B car like yours should be up under the hood as described.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think my cap is the factory one. It looks to have a vent inside of it when you take it off.

But you sure get a lot of WWOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH when you take it off. Most when low on fuel, and the warmer the day the more.

I'll take a close look over the lines underhood and see if I find anything.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I'll see if I can test it. Probably use a vacuum cleaner to suck on it (I have this thing for not tasting gasoline....)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts