Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came across a Mazdaspeed6 'subwoofer' that was removed from the car. It's an 8" 2-ohm speaker with built-in amp.

Bad news is they only get 1 speaker per car, so I need to find another.

But this could be a low cost stereo mod, since it would be a plug in solution.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
All I did with my Fleetwood was install a ported box w/10" sub on the one side of the trunk and it sounds great! Just patched it into the R/R speaker leads and used a filter to cut everything above 150 out. Used a 300w amp mounted on the box powered via power and ground run from the engine compartment. It was a simple install, and sounds great! Use the cavernous size of the trunk to your advantage!

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Typically you only need 1 sub, the low freq output is almost always mono anyway (bass guitar, 1 mike/input, panned 50% each speaker, synthesizers panned 50% each speaker, but might be 2 channel, but often not used as such). And being low freqs go through about anything, you will likely not be able to tell that there is only 1.

I think the new body style 2000-up Suburbans/Tahoes come with them factory, and only have 1 also.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Things I've learned about subwoofer installs:
1. More is not usually better unless you just like noise or are trying to impress the ignorant.
2. Bigger is only better to a point.
3. Don't go cheap/light on the amp.
4. Don't go cheap/light on the wiring.
5. A properly chosen and installed sub is usually plenty for any normal application (see # 1 above).

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Aye!

We have a pair of subs at church, and they can rock the house in a 1200 seat auditorium. I think they are only 15-20in cones. 1000+ watts each. And they will MOVE you....

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
N0DIH said:
Aye!

We have a pair of subs at church, and they can rock the house in a 1200 seat auditorium. I think they are only 15-20in cones. 1000+ watts each. And they will MOVE you....
I was refering to subs in cars. A freind of mine is a DJ at a number of clubs in our area and he would certainly NOT be able to deal with only ONE subwoofer. His are bigger than a friggin' refrigerator freezer! Totally different acoustics in action there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone cut holes in the rear deck in-between where the 6X9's are so that more air can be moved??
I also only have one 10" sub, but there is a ton more bass when I pop the trunk and it only opens a few inches. I was planning on cutting the holes in the deck, but was wondering if anyone else had done it with any luck.

I hope this isn't wrongfully cutting in on someone else's thread....if so, I apologize.

Brad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts