Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My problem with high voltage continues. I have double checked all the grounds, and connections, replaced both connections to the battery, and installed a new alternator. I am still getting an intermittent high voltage problem. The volts will rise up to 14.4-14.6, the air bag light will flash, and now the DIC will read "No Battery Charge". My only guess is that the battery is defective? I replaced it about 2 months ago. I really don't know what else to look into for the problem!

Any help would be much appreciated! :bouncy:

·
Registered
238 Posts
are u testing the voltage with a DVM or using the p.0.7 readout? maybe it's a bad ecm? not sure if uve changed that. also are u using a acdelco alt. i've heard bad things if u dont use an acdelco one. also did u have this problem b4 the new battery?

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have changed it to give the volt readout on the dash. The alternator is new, not made by AC Delco though. But I had the problem with the original alternator as well. The problem started about a month after I replaced the battery. So that's why I wonder if there's a defect in the battery itself, causing the occasional "Battery No Charge" message????
How else can I tell if the ECM is going bad? Seems wierd, everything else works fine with it! Engine runs great, etc....

·
Registered
238 Posts
well if it happened a month after the new batt i would say 95% sure its that. u should have the battery tested or just replace the thing. but i have heard from multiple people in real life and on this forum that using a non acdelco alt. but u said it was happening b4. Test the batt with a voltometer. see what kinda volts u r getting. watch it for a while see if it spkikes. but it deff seems to be the batt. not sure on testing the ecm. if u have a FSM it would be in their somewhere. i would start with the small stuff first(batt)

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the battery tested, and it tested fine. I did notice that the problem occurs the most when accelerating from a stop, or going up an incline. I thought maybe a motor mount was broken and pulling on a wiring harness. Well, my guess was correct for once, and my front lower motor mount is split! I am not sure what it is pulling on to cause a high voltage problem, but I will replace it ASAP. The cheapest one I found was from RockAuto.com for $49.79. AutoZone wanted $93!

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
How about taking your car to Sears and having them analyze your entire electrical system? They can spot whether it's the alternator (maybe you got a 2nd bad one), wiring, battery, etc. and they can do it in under 15 mins. If you have them fix it for you, the diagnostic is free. If you don't, it's something like $15. Inexpensive and fast.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to update, incase anyone ever has this problem: It turned out to be a bad connection in the battery sense wire. I re-soldered the connections, and after driving 130 miles, I have had no voltage problems!

·
Registered
3 Posts
can you give a better description of the wire you fixed. location, color, picture, etc.

i have the same problem on my 95 deville.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's the battery sense wire, it is connected to the starter along with the positive power wire to the starter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks,
BTW, did you get your motor mount replaced? if so, how big of a job is it? i've got a busted one also so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It doesn't look that hard to change, you have to get at the bolts through the passenger side wheel well. It's too cold here and I don't have any garage space, so I'm taking it to the dealers on Friday. It's my daily driver now, since my STS is off the road for the Winter, so I have to get it fixed! I have it held together with hose clamps, which are probably stronger than the original rubber! But I don't know how long those will last, so I'm getting it changed!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts