Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1986 DeVille Touring Sedan 65K
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to add another Caddy to the family, but don't know anything about the 90's models as far as ride and reliability. We've had an 86 deVille Touring Sedan since it was new, but its known to be one of the more problematic years (and I've spent alot of $$$ over the years fixing it multiple times). With this newer acquisition, I'd prefer to go with a year model that is known to be more reliable. I have 2 cars that I am looking at: a 93 Sedan deVille 4.9 with 90,000 miles (GREAT condition in and out...elderly man recently passed away) and a 96 DeVille Northstar engine with 128,000 miles (a little more interior wear but still very nice for its age). Both cars are essentially the same price. I like the color combo of the 96 better, but am going more for engine/transmission reliability than anything else. Any advice would be appreciated. Are there any other years you would suggest while I'm out looking? Thanks!

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
985 Posts
Go read up on the NorthStar forum for the problems people have had with the 96-99 northstars. I think you might be better off with the 93, but have both cars throughly inspected first.

·
Registered
1986 DeVille Touring Sedan 65K
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I finally entered some search words for past discussions that led me to a thread which basically answers my questions above...unless someone else has anything new to add I think I will take the 1993 4.9 over the 1996 Northstar.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
The '91-'93 Devilles are absolute tanks. There are a few small problems that could occur, but power-train wise, the only problem you could face later is a trans rebuild. 4T60-E's in these cars tend to fail between 120-160k. Then again, it's hard to predict anything, it may run fine for years.

The 4.9L engine is invincible. As long as it has been properly cared for, continual good maintenance can lead to lifespans between 200-300k.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
The correct answer is the 93 if it's reliability you want. I have never had a car last 190,000 miles before but that is where my 92 Deville is at. The oil doesn't even start to get dirty until about 3000 miles; I'm very impressed with it and I haven't sat in a more comfortable seat yet.

·
Registered
2005 STS
75 Posts
I have a 91 that I bought 3 years ago with 34000 miles and now have 76000 on it.I was going to get into a 99 or 2000 but the Northstar is a scary proposition to me.I have seriously overheated mine and after replacing the thermostat and fresh coolant it runs like a champ.I know I would be getting a HG done if it was a Northstar.Nice compromise might be a 94 or 95 with the 4.9 in it.Bodystyle is a little different and price3 should be comparable.

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
Your 86 have a 4.1? The 4.9 is similar to the 4.1 with some upgrades and bug fixes. I still use a 85 4.1 FSM for some repairs on my 4.9. It's never exactly the same procedure, but atleast puts you in the ballpark.

The northstar as you probably know is a totally different beast, Won't say its better or worse, just different. My 2 93's have had their issues, but nothing not to be expected and the repair bill is never terrible.

·
Registered
78 FWB d'Elegance, 92 deVille, 93 Seville, 06 DTS
465 Posts
92 sitting in my driveway with 180k, and is all original, only costs have been typical maintenance.
I think the TCO on our 05 sienna with 50k is probably about twice what I am into the 92 for, and that was what made me hunt down the 93 seville with the 4.9
properly maintained you will get sick of seeing it in your driveway before it causes major headache.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts