Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
In my quest to again acquire a Cadillac I test-drove a 93 Seville STS today with what appears to be an electrical problem. What happens is: while you're driving, for a split second, the analog speedometer will go all the way up to 140, and the digital read outs and radio go blank. Then it comes back on and says "monitored systems ok" as if you had just started the car. All guages resume their normal function. This literally happens for only a second or two. It's almost as if the computer is "resetting".

I noticed this to happen when I stepped on the brake, and right when I turned the radio on. Seems to be during times of high electrical usage. Also, when the radio is on, I hear a high pitched whine that increases with engine speed. When I turn the radio off it gets quieter, but it's still there.

The car runs good otherwise, has 106K on it and seems to be in pretty good shape. He's asking $2,000 because of the problem. I guess what I'm wondering is: Is this a major problem or could it be fixed relatively cheaply? He says a local dealer checked it out and couldn't find the problem, but I'm not sure how good that dealer is service wise. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jon

·
Super Moderator
86,088 Posts
Check the battery cables. Any corrosion on the connections or under the insulation can bring the electrical gremlins out of hidding.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah - check the battery cables AND the condition of the battery - looks like when you put a load on the system (hit the brakes, you power the brake lights, turn on the radio, you pull some amps) you're re-setting the display computer.
Curious - if you turn on the lights does the same thing happen? If so then it's being caused by a sudden power need -

Steve

·
Registered
35 Posts
If it's the display and/or display computer itself, it's a fairly expensive (and troublesome) replacement. I'm surprised the dealer didn't already try to sell them a new IPC (instrument panel cluster) for major $$$.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys,
I was actually wondering the same thing, if perhaps it might be a battery issue. However, it starts the car very easily. When the display cuts out the radio goes with it too, so that makes me think that it's not the display computer. Judging by the whine, could it be a bad alternator? I tell ya, if it's just a bad battery/alternator this could be a good find.

-Jon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Eldyfig