Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1993 sedan deville
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this common problem with the rear adjuster over tightening?
I bought this caddie because I had a coupe deville some years back. when it got hauled away the rear wheels had locked up just from sitting in the back yard.
Loved that ride too but after the second trany failed I gave up on that one . It was rusted out and not worth the fixing with shallow pockets it just went that way.
Any way I have not worked on that type of brake setup can I just back it off ? and will it stay.? seams that it would be a real gas economy reducer ,if I drive it that way .Its been known to drag the rear wheel in the gravel drive for a way ,and may have been responsible for setting off the ABS.
That may seem like an obvious DA
I had a ford toraus rear wheel drag that melted the hub caps of . and the reason for that was the rear brake flex line would not allow return flow.
Would this be a similar problem?

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
778 Posts
If things are rusty in the rear brakes I would buy all new parts because they are very cheap. It's pretty rare for the adjuster to over-tighten the brakes. If it's not rusty in there and the adjuster works smoothly then go ahead and readjust it.

·
Registered
1993 sedan deville
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did adjust them yesterday , There is not much in the way of rust and not much wear ether drum or shoes. No lip on the drum. But a fare amount of brake dust. seems that, at inspection time they only remove one wheel drum. Fortunately for me I had a very large wheel puller. or that wheel still would not be off. about a 2 table spoons of dust came out. There does not seem to be much room in there for even dust. The adjuster moved easy I, did not have to tear it down like most other cars,.and I have done many, I always do my own, Most of those cars were high mileage very rusty used cars.
This caddie is 27 years young 78K, not much rust any where on the car ,only the heat shield overt he muffler and I removed that last night.

·
Registered
1993 sedan deville
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After diving the car for a while. I am surprised How much that drag was costing in MPG. I was getting about 20.8 to 21 MPG. Now It is 27 to 28 MPG on a trip . And only low when I go places and idle with the AC waiting for curb service. A long Highway run was looking like 30 to 33 until I hit the city traffic .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts